Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My first project, I must be crazy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBurmeister

I am looking into tring my first project. What I would like to do is make a customized LCD Display for my motorcycle.

i am looking to get something like a 5 or 6 inch colored LCD Screen to display some basic information. I do know how most of the information is coming (ie. freq., ohms, and ect.).

I am just tring to figure where to start on the hardware side of things. I know i would obviously need a LCD Screen. Now what other hardware would I need to use as an interface to display this info.

The information I am looking to display is; RPM, Speed, Gear Indicator, Water Temp {Good, Warm, Hot}, Oil Pressure Indocator, and Milage.)

If anyone might know where I can turn to for help besides here would be greatly appreciated as well.....

Is this your first electronics project?

Sounds really complex for a beginner.

You will need a microcontroller, so if they are new to you, start simple (blinking leds) and work your way up from there.

There are some members here that would be better able to advise what types of controllers to look into.

Hopfully one of them will reply.

Yeah this is my first electonics project. I am the type that usually thinks big and goes for it.... I have a lot of determination LOL

Thank you for your help. I will start to look into micro-controllers

Well, i'm pretty much a beginner also. I have only really been into electronics for 2 years or so.

I got started with PIC micro controllers about 8 months ago or so. I bought the Inchworm ICD2 programmer from BlueRoomElectronics and have had good luck with it so far. But for me LCD is still way over my head.

Check out NigelGoodwin's signature on here, he has a website about getting started with PICs.

Many years back, I was looking at putting a gear indicator on my bike, a single 7 segment LED display. I wouldn't have to room to mount a 6" weatherproof display.

This is why I want to put it all onto a single LCD display. I mainly comes down to size restrictions. I might have to go the way you did, in that I might need to make it a stand-alone item.

I am truely hoping that I will be able to display everything the way I would like too.. I will try to get up a basic drawing ASAP. I am hoping it might help out with ideas from others.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back