Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Engine runs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I've been working on building and installing a 383 into my monte carlo SS the past few weeks. I just got it running last night.
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

It sounds friggen awsome with just the headers.

**broken link removed**

I think I'm gonna be making close to 450 HP with it. I just have to finish the exhaust and break it in, then I can take it for a cruise.

Is that a 350cid punched out to 383? 'Cause the 383 I'm familiar with is the old Chrysler motor. How'd you come up with a speculated 450hp too? Is the cam a hi-lift/duration one? Sort of sounds like it from the video-- but then with open headers it's a bit tricky to tell.

Yeah, Its a 350 block bored 0.030 over with a crank from a 400. The 400 crank has a longer stroke which gives me about 27 extra cid and the bore gives me the other 6.

It does have a pretty radical cam in it. I bought it off the mechanic that did the block work for me. He originally used it in a motor for a late model circle track car. I dont remember the specs on it though.

If it's an automatic, I hope you have a high stall torque convertor behind that motor.
It does sound good.

Yeah, Its a 350 block bored 0.030 over with a crank from a 400. The 400 crank has a longer stroke which gives me about 27 extra cid and the bore gives me the other 6.
Did the crank journals need to be ground as a result of a different crank? I never messed with the small blocks so I know little about them. My bag was the big block motors... (I had a 427 Chevy 425hp). Since the engine runs obviously, the cylinder bore depth must be plenty long to accomodate the 400 crank's specs.

What about the heads? Any mods done to them? Rollers? Ported? Shaved? While you had the motor out on the stand, did you have it balanced ?.. that makes for its longevity. And speaking of longevity, change the oil to Mobile 1 or Royal Purple during break-in period instead of using dino-oil. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Beautiful, what are you setting the redline at?

also if you want to upgrade to a computer controlled engine check out the mega squirt system!!

MEGA SQUIRT!!

I want one of these soo bad!!

Last edited:
G'day Jeff,
Man that looks like a cool motor but there's only 1 thing missing and thats a root's blower, and I agree where the pic of the car it's going in ???.

If you find you don't have a use for that motor I could find a good home for it as oneday I plan on building a hill climb buggy and that motor looks the goods for it :D:D:D

Cheers Bryan ;)

I may be a bit out of date on this. I recall the engine should be broken in then switched to synthetic oil.
Well the jury is still out on the issue... although some of today's motor mfgrs. have been shipping motors with synthetic in them. I too have heard of break-in period using standard grade oil and then switching to synthetic, but I think it may be more of an economic/cost factor since it's much better to perform numerous oil changes during the break-in period... especially with performance motors. I'd be changing oil every thousand miles at first. But never pour in "engine flush" fluid during break-in!

Here's the car.
**broken link removed**

Did the crank journals need to be ground as a result of a different crank? I never messed with the small blocks so I know little about them. My bag was the big block motors... (I had a 427 Chevy 425hp). Since the engine runs obviously, the cylinder bore depth must be plenty long to accomodate the 400 crank's specs.

The crank journals did need to be ground down, but all that was done before I bought it. The block was also clearanced a bit in spots for the rods. I did have the mechanic that bored the block balance everything too.

I have a 2500 RPM stall converter in there. I'm also getting a fresh 8.5" 3.73 posi real soon. I doubt my 7.5" open unit will last very long. My friend and I were joking that the first burnout I do with it should be in the street with the car pointed up his driveway so we dont have to push it very far to get it back in the garage when it breaks.

If you find you don't have a use for that motor I could find a good home for it as oneday I plan on building a hill climb buggy and that motor looks the goods for it

These monte carlos are real popular for late-model race cars. So if I want to get sick of the car I'll just slap a roll cage in it and take it to the local speedway.

I've got most of the build pics here:
**broken link removed**

Hey guys! My 2 cents: Synthetic is so good at what it does it does not allow proper break-in. Go with standard oil for the break-in period (3,000-5,000 miles) then switch to synthetic. OEMs usually have a lot closer tolerances than your local machine shop.

Your WIP is banging. :)

Looks good! How heavy are you? Have you gotten it dyno'd?

Last edited:
I smell its pollution from here.
The huge engine drinks lots of money.

The block was also clearanced a bit in spots for the rods. I did have the mechanic that bored the block balance everything too..... I'm also getting a fresh 8.5" 3.73 posi real soon. I doubt my 7.5" open unit will last very long.
Way to go! And good thinking about the rear end too-- it wasn't long before the original axle in my '55 Chevy exploded (literally) from the 427 motor. I switched to an SS ElCamino driveshaft and 12-bolt 4:56 Posi from a SS Nova.

no offense

but the color of the car is awfull

are you give it a diffrent color paintjob??

Robert-Jan

Very nice! What kind of carb is that?
Its a Holley 750 CFM Double pumper. I think it has some problems though, I noticed fuel leaking out of the secondarys when it was at idle.

Looks good! How heavy are you? Have you gotten it dyno'd?
I'm 155 last I checked. The car is about 3850 Lbs. Havent had it dyno'd...heck I havent even driven it yet.

The huge engine drinks lots of money.
Yeah, its gonna be pretty expensive to run, but the price of gas is only going to go up so if I want to drive a gas-guzzler now is the time to do it.
There is a full service gas station right by my house, I plan on handing the guy my debit card and telling him to fill it up and I dont want a reciept and not to tell me how much it was.

no offense
but the color of the car is awfull
are you give it a diffrent color paintjob??

None taken. I hate the paintjob on it. I plan to get it painted, but it may have to wait til next year. I think I've put enought money into it this year.

Should be taking it for a spin tonight!

There is a full service gas station right by my house, I plan on handing the guy my debit card and telling him to fill it up and I dont want a reciept and not to tell me how much it was.

Just make sure you watch him hang the nozzle back up -- you don't want to fill his car and those of his friends!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back