Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your approximate dollar value put into materials? Not the hours you put into it, just curious.

Thanks I will keep you updated with stuff as and when I can as I cant all ways get in the workshop as me back is real bad most days.
My brother helps me when I do go out there and he said he wanted to learn any way so it helps me out at the same time :).

Thanks all

hello, im new around

thats a nice machine you got there
im also trying to make a CNC but my budget is a really tight one.
i have already made all parts of the frame in MDF wood and Galvanized tubes.

but im stuck at the electronics part, i designed my own Motor divers (Bipolar 4 wires)
but when i only plug one it works perfectly, then when i connect the second motor/driver,
both stalls and start to vibrate, if i try to move it, it looses steps. but the L298 doesnt seem to be overheating or anything.
i sync'ed the l297 with the signal line but im still having the same issues.

i didnt try to buy a BoB because customs here in colombia are nuts and im always paying more for tax and shipping than for the product itself.

has anyone encountered similar issues using these 2 controlers (l297 & l298N)?

but im stuck at the electronics part, i designed my own Motor divers (Bipolar 4 wires)
but when i only plug one it works perfectly, then when i connect the second motor/driver,
both stalls and start to vibrate, if i try to move it, it looses steps. but the L298 doesnt seem to be overheating or anything.
i sync'ed the l297 with the signal line but im still having the same issues.
It sounds like your power supply isn't good enough.

Mike.

already checked that,
i started with 1 power adaptor for each of the motors, then i switched to 1 AT computert power source (for all the circuits).
with the computer power source i get better performance and power when only one motor is connected, but still the same issue.

played with the 10k trimmer in order to calibrate the chopper, and even turned off the chopper but still the same.
ill try to upload the circuit im using.

EDIT:
OMG I DK how to resize images in this forum, sorry. ill just paste the link
here:
**broken link removed**

the only modification is that im using 1n4148 diodes.

Last edited:
You should scope the o/p of the PSU.

I had the problem about 10 yrs ago. Some SMPS do not like heavy 'transient' loads. Mine was a 5V @ 18A, in theory should have no trouble with the 3 steppers, but did. Max load assuming 3 motors, 2 coils, 1.4A per coil = some 8.5A -ish. Depends which were switching and when ..

5V o/p was collapsing to about 1.7V for several hundred uSecs ...

Replaced it with a linear ... worked ..

I agree with Pommie, if both motors work one at a time, I would suspect the PSU loading.

The nasty thing is, some SMPS will take it ...

D.

All commercial stepper drivers that I've looked at say NOT to use a SMPS to power the motor and drivers.

CNC looks awesome stk2008!

What software are you using to input the motion paths to your CNC?

Have you ever seen anyone interfacing a homebrew CNC with software like Mastercam or gibbs?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back