Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Music synthesizer from old keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have searched the web for a music synthesizer controlled from microcontroller or computer from e.g. a serial connection, but nothing useful appeared - so I have decided to make one myself.

My plan is to use an old keyboard (not the PC-type), rip off the keys and make some sort of electronically controlled switch to emulate a keystroke.

However, I don't know exactly how the keys are detected. Can anyone give me some clues how to approach such a project? Is it a matter of simply controlling the current over the key (if they are made in the same way as a computer keyboard) with a simple transistor circuit?

Any answers are appreciated

I have searched the web for a music synthesizer controlled from microcontroller or computer from e.g. a serial connection, but nothing useful appeared
I'm surprised you found nothing. Modern keyboards are synthesisers and nearly all (except the cheapest) have a MIDI interface enabling them to be controlled from a PC or micro. Try researching MIDI (which is a serial protocol).
Many music keyboards provide velocity sensing, so it's not "a matter of simply controlling the current over the key".

Well, it may turn out to be an easier choice to just purchase a MIDI keyboard, but that is not nearly as fun as building one myself.
I'll take your comment into consideration. Thanks

Hi Electronics4you. I have a complete circuit of a simple touch-sensitive midi keyboard scanner buried somewhere in my boxes of paperwork. Many centuries back, a technician friend gave me a hand-drawn sketch that he had made (built his own). When I dig this sketch out, I'll draw it neatly in CAD, then submit it to the forum. Still have to learn how to safely attach an image and other media - my antivirus by default blocks visitors trying to access my hard-disk content. Maybe staff members can advise? Expect few days to about 1 week for Midi circuit. Cheers.

E4Y you have chosen a great project , but it depends how much musicality you want to achieve , a simple scan of the keyboard switches will produce a key map , that could be decoded into midi stream of notes-on .. or notes off , giving a fully polyphonic system... I did this some time ago with a PIC16F877 midifying an Elka organ. as the 125khz midi baud fits easily with a 20mhz clock but scanning say 66 keys you only have a few uSec to decode the output and scan again its all about timing..., I solved this and used a pair of mcu with a parallel port connection .( modern mcu at 70MIPS would be solve this issue ) But midi has a lot of control functions to be taken care of ... you really need to include the note velocity ,( time for key to travel ), I did not do this but just had a global setting for all keys.... I fed the midi stream into a Yamaha TG100 XG midi voice box ... shame I wasn't very good at playing !!!

Hi Electronics4you. I have a complete circuit of a simple touch-sensitive midi keyboard scanner buried somewhere in my boxes of paperwork. Many centuries back, a technician friend gave me a hand-drawn sketch that he had made (built his own). When I dig this sketch out, I'll draw it neatly in CAD, then submit it to the forum. Still have to learn how to safely attach an image and other media - my antivirus by default blocks visitors trying to access my hard-disk content. Maybe staff members can advise? Expect few days to about 1 week for Midi circuit. Cheers.

When you are composing a post, the option "Upload a file" is right there on your left just below the line you are typing. Think more and type/talk less.

I will like to to see the circuit. I built MIDI controllers as a hobby.
Thanks,
PRPROG

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back