Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Music Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

onetoughcookie

Hey, I'm kind of new at everything. So please bare with me.
I want to make a music box that plays music every time its opened. I need a sound module that activates when light is emitted to it. In addition, I want to use this certain song which is around 2 minutes. The only problem I'm having is that I'm having finding such a sound module. Is there one out there? Or, how can I best easily or simply make one by myself?
I previously posted the question at a different site and someone suggested that I should use a CD player and connect a few transistors to it. I'm guessing the transistors will connect a sound amplifier so you can hear the song and the light sensor switch will activate it when you open the box. The problem is, I'm learning as I go. So I don't know exactly where to start or what to do.
Can I find or purchase a sound module like the one I'm looking for? Can I make one?

I would suggest an MP3 player.

The player could be permanently connected to the battery but the light could trigger a relay which would connect the speakers to the output of the player.

How loud does it need to be?

You might need an amplifier as MP3 players are normally designed to drive headphones, not speakers.

You might search Google for
"voice recorder chip board"
... which gives lots of sources for solid-state recording devices.
Winbond seems to be the big player, but there may be other manufacturers.
I see lots of 20-second and 90-second units.
The start-switch would probably be your responsibility.

I would suggest an MP3 player.

The player could be permanently connected to the battery but the light could trigger a relay which would connect the speakers to the output of the player.

How loud does it need to be?

You might need an amplifier as MP3 players are normally designed to drive headphones, not speakers.

The music doesn't have to be that loud. Just loud enough for the person to hear it when they open it. Just loud enough for them to hear it clearly.
How do I make the mp3 player play when there's light? What do i need to get and do? Or maybe I can use a different type of switch like an open/close switch and place it so when the lid closes it closes the switch. Whatever is easier.

Impressive!
YouTube - usb mp3 player at home.3gp

I don't like the blue balls that track the mouse on the website - I'm sure there are better ways for the site designer to show off their programming skills.

There was a thread here few months ago, -hacking an mp3 player to work as a doorbell. Same principle can be used here too.Here, the play/stop button of the player you need to replace with electronic switches. Here you need to keep the player ON 24 hours using the battery if it is a portable one and the player will suck all the charge within few hours..I don't think it need to be operated thru wall wart considering what I'm getting from your post.. Opening the box -idea can be implemented by just using a leaf switch like in greeting cards. You've to make a little amplifier still if you want to hear it. Light dependent ON/OFF can be done using LDR switch. Both are fairly easy actually, at least by idea vise .. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back