Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Music and Lights project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroneA

Hey Guys,

Most people have probably seen a project where bunch of lights that blink according to the frequency and amplitude of some audio input, either through filters or some sort of FFT processing. A good example would be those really elaborate Christmas displays where the strings of Christmas lights are blinking to match some yuletide music.... I don't really want to do that but that's a good example. https://hackaday.com/2011/01/22/turning-music-into-a-light-show/

I want to have a microcontroller blink lights in a specially composed pattern when a song plays, I know that'll be time consuming and it would only work for one song but I think it would have a lot of artistic potential. The one thing I worry about is keeping the blinking in sync with the song. It would look really dumb if it went off tempo, especially for faster beats.

Would say one of the ATMega family devices be able to handle this without screwing up? Or would a 555 timer be good enough to get the precision needed? I was also thinking about a way to analyze the signal with the microcontroller to maintain sync.

Also, I want to take the project even further, as in adding some signal analysis to make project more robust, but I know I need to master the music sync part first.

Thanks

Is this for just one song, in which case you can have a pre-determined pattern. Or is this for many songs, such that you want to analyse the music / beat and blink lights according to that.

I would like to start off with just one song with a a pre-determined pattern, and then incorporate a general "music / beat and blink lights" as a sort of backup.

AND that website had some really interesting links to people who are doing this sort of thing, thanks!

I would like to start off with just one song with a a pre-determined pattern, and then incorporate a general "music / beat and blink lights" as a sort of backup.

AND that website had some really interesting links to people who are doing this sort of thing, thanks!
I have done it for years!
What you need to do is get the controller to start the music.
For one two minute song timing will not be that critical, but the longer the sequences the more you will be able to tell if its off time.
If you used a microcontroller board with an SD card slot and audio output that would be the best.

Hey Guys,

Most people have probably seen a project where bunch of lights that blink according to the frequency and amplitude of some audio input, either through filters or some sort of FFT processing. A good example would be those really elaborate Christmas displays where the strings of Christmas lights are blinking to match some yuletide music.... I don't really want to do that but that's a good example. https://hackaday.com/2011/01/22/turning-music-into-a-light-show/

I want to have a microcontroller blink lights in a specially composed pattern when a song plays, I know that'll be time consuming and it would only work for one song but I think it would have a lot of artistic potential. The one thing I worry about is keeping the blinking in sync with the song. It would look really dumb if it went off tempo, especially for faster beats.

Would say one of the ATMega family devices be able to handle this without screwing up? Or would a 555 timer be good enough to get the precision needed? I was also thinking about a way to analyze the signal with the microcontroller to maintain sync.

Also, I want to take the project even further, as in adding some signal analysis to make project more robust, but I know I need to master the music sync part first.

Thanks

Can you have a multitrack recording were one of the track contain a sync pulse ? (it is called a "click track") the microcontroller (or any device) will used that click track to synchonize other events (lights, effects, etc) .
Another option is to used MIDI sequence, which already contain the sync/clock information as part of the protocol.

Can you have a multitrack recording were one of the track contain a sync pulse ? (it is called a "click track") the microcontroller (or any device) will used that click track to synchonize other events (lights, effects, etc) .
Another option is to used MIDI sequence, which already contain the sync/clock information as part of the protocol.
We use time code on one channel of a stereo recording to synchronize fireworks to music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back