Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multism - Charging a capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

siliconsurfer

Hello,

This is a question about how to sample the charging of a capacitor on an oscilloscope in Multisim.

I have the circuit below and running the simulation. On the oscilloscope, that is shown in the video below, you can see how the potential decays after the switch is closed. After a while the scope resets, and restart the sampling, i.e. the cursor jumps back to the start position. Is it possible to configure the oscilloscope so that a whole trace can be recorded for the charging of the capacitor? How should the trigger be set?

Any comments appreciated.

Here is the circuit

**broken link removed**

The oscilloscope recording is shown in the video below. You can see when the switched is closed, and how the potential then decreases. Before reaching the end of the time-axis, i.e. the x-axis, the cursor jumps back to the zero position and restarts the sampling.

Your question shows that you do not understand how the "free running" (untriggered mode) of an oscilloscope works. This has nothing to do with Multisim....

if you want it all on one screen then increase the timebase....more seconds per division...or milliseconds per div, whatever

Ok, I think I solved this. When Multisim runs a simulations it collects data up to a fix number of points. If the number of points is to small, with the used used time resolution, to allow for a full trace to be captured, it will be "clipped" on the Multisim oscilloscope. I don't have the correct terminology for this, but if anyone finds it useful I attache a screen shoot below. Note the arrow, when number of points is increases to 928000 a full traces can be captured.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back