Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplicity Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhykie

Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem of understanding what a multiplicity number is when talking of binary numbers. Well in decimal, multiplicity means the number of times a number appears in a multiset. But when when it comes to binary numbers, i can't understand what it means: for example what does it mean by saying, " logically AND two 50-bits binary numbers, forming a 5-bit multiplicity number"

cheers

Last edited:
rhykie,

Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem of understanding what a multiplicity number is when talking of binary numbers. Well in decimal, multiplicity means the number of times a number appears in a multiset. But when when it comes to binary numbers, i can't understand what it means: for example what does it mean by saying, " logically AND two 50-bits binary numbers, forming a 5-bit multiplicity number"

Unless it has some esoteric meaning in this case, a 5-bit number can be any length, but has only 5 bits set. So all you have to do is write out 2 50-bit numbers that have only 5 bits in the same position. You can choose the position. The result of the logical AND will be a number with 5 ones and the rest zeroes. So the ones will have a multiplicity of 5. I can't think of any other meaning. If I am wrong, let me know.

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back