Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplexing video cams onto one RG-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2c

Hello,

I was wondering if there were means (to buy or make) allowing to mux few video cameras onto one Rg6 cable and then to demux the cable to as many cams.

Thanks in advance for your help

Guy

I'm not going to say making such a thing is impossible, but it well beyond my skills. I would think you would be able to buy something, though; basically, it would involve (on the camera end) taking the composite output, placing it on a specific frequency, then on the other end having a multi-channel tuner to "de-mux" the frequencies back to separate composite outputs. Essentially, more or less, what a television station thru a cable line to your television does (with multiple tuners, of course). I am not sure what they would be called (except perhaps a "video signal multiplexer/de-multiplexer", of course) - they likely won't be inexpensive, though; here's an example:

**broken link removed**

The strange thing is, if you look up "video multiplexer", you get devices (which aren't cheap, either) that take multiple signals, then turn it into a single signal for display of multiple views on a single monitor (like you'd see with a security camera system) - this isn't the same thing as like what that "Gemini" product above is doing (which is what I believe you are looking for?)...

Thank you cr0sh

I understand that the Gemini thing transmits the frames cyclically so that for instance, if you mux 4 cams, (PAL) frame rate will be reduced to 12.5

I was thinking of other muxing schemes such as the one you suggested or going through MP4 encoder decoder. Not sure if these exist

Anyway, I asked a quotation for the Gemini-4 and will decide according to the price

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back