Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple Notices of Same Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a similar experience this morning with notifications of a PM (Conversation) reply.

Times were: 08:06, 08:31, 08:56, 09:21, 09:46 BST

There are some corresponding times there.

JimB

Yep, a 25-minute cycle time.

Must have been a systematic issue to be that reproducible.

John

It's happening again. Frequency is approximately 0.00694444 Hz (i.e., q 25 minutes). I am even getting notices from threads I have "unwatched." Infact, it started right after I unwatched a thread. Maybe the problem was precipitated by that action.

John

Forget the image:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
It's happening to me too now .. ..16.09; 16.34; 16.59; 17.24; 1749; 18.14; 18.39 !!

I reckon it's the mods getting their own back for all the daft questions I ask !! :D

S

System seems affected by a particular mix of singultus and anarthria. Sys op asked to breath deep and relax while slowly exhaling with eyes closed. Repeat as necessary.

As understand it, the forum software has various behavioral manipulative settings that the moderators can use. One of those settings is "annoy." I suspect we have both been awarded that honor.

Just got another copy of those notices.

John

Hi John

Yes, I'm getting copies of everything now in 25 min intervals.

One of those settings is "annoy." I suspect we have both been awarded that honor.

May be so, but if they think they can be more annoying than me .. .. .. :D

S

My turn now. Probably as a punishment for joking on the matter.

My turn.png

Maybe ETO has been hacked and it is a virus?

I just put ETO on my blocked sender's list, which just defaults to the junk mail folder (Windows Live Mail -- wonder who paid how much for that feature so it is not really blocked). Next step is to adjust the AVAST settings.

John

The problem certainly has some earmarks of a virus. Old notices keep being received and blocking, "noreply.electro.tech.online@gmail.com" seems to have no effect. I am baffled why no one at ETO seems to think this is an issue or has bothered to respond. Next is the nuclear option. If that doesn't work, then I am convinced ETO has been hacked and it is some sort of malware.

John

Only today I am getting many e-mails about the same few threads. One is a request for friendship.
I wish this site will be fixed soon or I must block its e-mails to me.

I don't see any option to toggle the email notices you receive. We are looking into this.

I have sent Dave a PM with a link to this thread. Unfortunately this is beyond the capabilities of the moderators. If the timestamps don't match times of new postings, then I expect it is definitely a glitch (and a fairly serious one at that). Hopefully dmiyares can respond to this thread and look into the issue.

Regards,
Matt

P.S. John, I can almost guarantee you weren't "hacked". I'm not sure your post at AAC was entirely necessary.

it is our email service provider that provides SMTP relay... they upgraded their servers and something went very wrong and everything got caught in a loop. I had to pull the plug on ETO, EDA, 3dcadforums, mcad and all 40 of our wordpress sites. My webmaster email account is unusable right now with over 100k loops. Every event on ALL the sites get sent in an email.

Anyhow none of the sites are sending out emails so no notifications or confirmation emails etc. It should have stopped once I pulled the plug on them. Now trying to setup a quickly hold over gmail account until I can get our send grid account setup

In all fairness the off-site placement of John's post owed to inaccessibility to this site...

Please see post # 10 on this thread:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/any-members-of-eto-here-beware.114033/#post-887567

Best regards and thanks for your attention to this matter!:)
HP

Thanks HP. Had not noticed that.

John, I did not realize you were unable to actually log in. I am wondering if that was a separate issue...? (Or perhaps it was related -- a server overload due to thousands of emails being sent at the same time). Moderators can help fix logins if a user forgets his or her password, or if their account requires validation. Beyond that there is little we can do. When it comes to the site code, we have no access. A direct email to the administrators would have been the best way to make your login issues known. A direct email to any of the moderators (if you happen to have their addresses) would allow them to reset your password to see if it helps, but there are no guarantees it would fix the problem. A PM at AAC to any member there who is a moderator here would have worked as well. I don't care to participate much at AAC anymore due to its new corporate facade, but I will respond to PMs. Warning others to "stay away from ETO because it's been hacked" was not called for, especially considering that was not the case. That is what I meant about your post at AAC being unnecessary. I should have specified "your negative comments" rather than simply saying "your post" was not necessary. I apologize for the confusion.

I receive email notifications for all PMs from ETO and AAC, so if you need to contact me that is probably the best way. I'm not sure if the other moderators have PM email notifications activated, but I will let them speak for themselves.

Hopefully this issue is resolved and you don't have any more issues. I am sure nobody ever intended to ignore your requests for help. There is just very little we can do when it comes to severe site (or server) bugs.

Regards,
Matt

The sever that when nuts and the webserver are two different machines. The one that went nuts isn't "fully" under WTWH's control. The issue John might be having is there are settings in the forum software which up until now didn't work since our 3rd party SMTP provider didn't process bounces like a normal SMTP server (think google). This system gets into the email account looking for 500 (fails) headers on email msgs. From there it dings accounts that have shown up as bounced. John's email might have been flagged...and I've got PM out to verify.

-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back