Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple caps on one supply and in series

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why would anyone want to? - what use is a greatly inferior and more expensive option?.

I take it you haven't been in a new car lately?

How many pointless to outright detrimental redesigns and additions to them have been added now that cost more than what problem they solved was worth to begin with? :p

I just figure that with the electronics laden vehicles of today that I am surprised that auto manufacturers haven't reduced the battery sized down so small that they are like cell phones and can only stay in standby mode a few hours before needing to be plugged in! :rolleyes:

We still can't bump start the remaining manuals either. The plastic bumpers cave in. :mad:

That and if the battery is dead the computer doesn't know that the engine is turning so it doesn't start with a push any way. :p

We still can't bump start the remaining manuals either. The plastic bumpers cave in. :mad:

Why would you be pushing at the 'bumpers'?.

That and if the battery is dead the computer doesn't know that the engine is turning so it doesn't start with a push any way. :p

Batteries aren't normally that dead - and if they are a few seconds of the alternator turning over should bring them back to life.

Why would you be pushing at the 'bumpers'?.

Because that's where the two vehicles tend to line up. :rolleyes:

Batteries aren't normally that dead - and if they are a few seconds of the alternator turning over should bring them back to life.

Unfortunately many newer vehicles have computer control over the initial voltage and current output of the alternator and when it actually starts charging which prevents them from self exciting and going to full output when spun up while being pushed.v:mad:

Believe me I have worked on enough newer vehicles to have had the displeasure of learning this stuff first hand. :(

I have seen similar issues with jump starting now as well. You can connect the cables and use one vehicle to charge the other but if you try cranking the dead one with too small of cables the voltage drop may be enough to keep the computer from letting the engine start. The starter spins things over but not all of the electronics for the fuel injection and whatnot get enough voltage to do what they are supposed too. :mad:

Not missing it. The typical american car is not so easily pushed by one person. maybe 2 young football players but not the average person.

Care to try and push start my old 1987 Mazda B2600? It only weighs around 4000 pounds and its a small pickup! :p

"Hows ABC lately? Slow tonight?

Anyway, you really need to maybe focus more on the less impressive practical stuff and sense.
Rather than your Formulas that make none. Your assumed cleverness is not always a smart thing to show in public.

Keep the formula stored for a relevant/pertinant exam question."

Yes sir, I'll try to do better in the future.
What's ABC?

Welcome to the world of science. You can't argue with the fundamental laws of physics that once the energy has gone, it's gone. It cannot be created or destroyed.

Lead acid batts have been used in cars for years for a very good reason. There is little to top their performance and super caps aren't a new breaking technology to solve the problem. Although I couldn't find the data I was looking for, I suspect a car alternator would blow the caps apart due to their high recharging rates albeit momentarily.

This is very little down to those showing formulas, but advice from those that understand the formulas. I made a point of this in post #5 by not including the maths but simply referring to the fact of how a capacitor discharges and how that is much different to how a lead acid cell discharges.

The car in the video seemed about as basic as a car can be. Few drive such cars these days which is why it's entertaining on youtube, it's simply not a a proposition.

LOL WTP Pepper.

I was referring to another Forum out there and got it's initials ? wrong. I meant AAC and posted ABC. My bad :)
This particular individual (member here too) however has a habit though of just posting clever Formula's without really following the discussion here.

Not the first time this has happened. No doubt a very intelligent person. But always wrong place wrong time. That's why I edited my reply to him....and he went and quoted me. So be it.

Lol and regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back