Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter Constant tone when leads unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie102

Hi Everyone,
I have a new multimeter. I used it once, then put it back in the original box, and it sat on my workbench for 1.5 years.
I even removed the batteries.
I didn't use it because I have a smaller one that I love to use and the tone is loud in continuity mode while the
new one is barely noticeable.

I wanted to use the new meter. I installed a new battery. The meter works in all modes, however in continuity mode,
there is a constant beep or tone like the leads were touching each other, even though the leads are disconnected from the meter.
I checked the leads, tried other leads same problem.

I also opened the meter, there is nothing shorting the two lead inputs together.
Of course the meter is out of warranty 6 months ago.

Anyone have any ideas? Could the buzzer be bad?

This is the same meter I have (someone did a youtube review on it)
youtube meter review

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Does the buzzer stay on if you switch off, then back to continuity? The the buzzer turn on and stays on after you touch the leads together? Or does the buzzer start as soon as you switch to continuity?

Two possibilities I can think of:

Data Hold mode has been activated (although what this has to do with continuity mode I'm not sure).

AC Detect mode is activated.

Both the above are described in the manual (the data hold thing may or may not give a tone in yours, other similar meters do).

Check which sockets you have the leads plugged in to - at a guess, you have one in the "current" socket.

It's warning you that the leads are shorted (by the current sensor circuit) but you do not have a current range selected.

Touching something that has a voltage while the leads are configured for current could cause very dramatic and unwanted effects, like sparks or fire, and a dead meter.

Does the buzzer stay on if you switch off, then back to continuity? The the buzzer turn on and stays on after you touch the leads together? Or does the buzzer start as soon as you switch to continuity?
Sometimes when I switch off then back to continuity, the buzzer goes off. When I touch the leads together, no buzzer. Touch the leads together many times and randomly the buzzer will come on and stay on. Usually the buzzer comes on as soon as the meter is turned on in continuity mode. The buzzer never comes on in any other mode.

Two possibilities I can think of:

Data Hold mode has been activated (although what this has to do with continuity mode I'm not sure).

AC Detect mode is activated.

Both the above are described in the manual (the data hold thing may or may not give a tone in yours, other similar meters do).
I checked, this is not the case

Check which sockets you have the leads plugged in to - at a guess, you have one in the "current" socket.

It's warning you that the leads are shorted (by the current sensor circuit) but you do not have a current range selected.

Touching something that has a voltage while the leads are configured for current could cause very dramatic and unwanted effects, like sparks or fire, and a dead meter.
One lead is common, the other is connected to ohms, V, mA, degrees F.
As I mentioned previously, the buzzer goes on even without the leads connected.

Sometimes, the buzzer sounds like it's fading in and out.

Today I am going to ask nicely if the store will exchange the unit.

I am certain that this problem was not caused by me because the
meter was used once, just to try it out when I purchased it.
I only purchased it because it was on sale and I thought I might use the thermocoupler
some day.

Last edited:
The store clerk was very nice and replaced the meter. It now works (no contant beep in continuity mode)

But these meters (both the ones I have seen) the buzzer sounds very weak and fades. I am sure there is a way to make the buzzer louder, I will have to look on the board.

I have some piezo buzzers here (they were new, but they are probably 15 years old now). Still in the original packaging.
They don't work very well, intermittent beeping and some don't work at all.

My question:
Can these buzzers be affected by age? They not stored in a damp place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back