Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi Tap Transformer wiring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
RCinFLA is correct. With a tapped winding that you have, all of the other suggested configurations are wrong. You have confirmed this with explosions and smoke.

You have two choices:

2) Continue to call your 0V terminal "0V". Develop each of the two necessary voltages with a half wave rectifier (single diode) and capacitor. This isn't a good idea at the current levels involved.

In either case, you should use properly rated diodes. 1N4007s are only good for about 1A. You should consider 25A bridges for 10A; if your co-workers or local merchant don't know some, come back and we'll try to help.

hi,:)
This halfwave suggestion was made earlier.

Looking at the overall dimensions and the wire gauge I dont believe that this transformer is rated for 10A at 60V..

The reason for the cap blowing up IMO, was because the OP was using 1A diodes in a 10A application and I suspect the 1N4007 went short circuit and applied 60V ac across the cap.

EDIT: just seen your edit.;)

Attachments

• HalfWave1.gif
    HalfWave1.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
It does seem to be a pretty small transformer for 600VA. :confused:

Especially when the end winding is 110V.!

Makes it about 1KVA, I suspect the lower voltage winding of 12V~ is 10A and the higher taps are much less in current rating.

an Update..

The solution was simple... infact too simple. I checked the transformer and it had indepenadnt windings which were connected in series to give the desired voltages.

I seperated the 0-12 coil and thus created another 0 for the 0-98 winding..
Now I have a transformer that has two seperate secondary windings 0-12 and 0-98 with 0-98 being multi tapped. giving me 58 instead of 60V which is perfectly acceptable.

I tried joining the common for both supplies after rectification and filtering and it worked well. and it gave me two supplies with a common ground!..

Thank You for all your kind help and patience witha noob like me..

Cheers all.

Last edited:
Just out of curosity, how big would a 110V 20A transformer be. becuase the transformer on our Haas CNC mill is rated at 80V 60Amps C. Duty and is only about a 1.25 inches larger in height width and depth from this transformer..!

I thought that due to the aluminum winding this transformer was large in comparision to coppwer winding based transformers.

Anyhow.. thank you again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back