Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLABX Assembler - Worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Anyway I had to shift from excellent MPLAB IDE to worst MPLABX IDE to write to modern PICs. I like to continue with assembly. I got several problems in everywhere & this is a real mess.

When creating a new project in old mplab we including the ".inc" file. Ex: P16F628A.INC in projects tree.

In MPLABX do we still need to include such a file? Is that some other format?

I've only every used C in MPLABX (spit, spit) so don't know how to (or if you can) use assembler. Looking forward to some replies. BTW, C isn't that bad, I used to be asm only but now do everything in C.

Mike.

I've only every used C in MPLABX (spit, spit) so don't know how to (or if you can) use assembler. Looking forward to some replies. BTW, C isn't that bad, I used to be asm only but now do everything in C.

I've gone that way as well - basically most datasheet examples are now in C, so it makes more sense to use it.

I would seriously ask yourself if you HAVE to use the chip concerned.
I was so disgusted with MPLABX I only use chips supported by MPLAB.
Like you I am what I beleive is called a bare metal assembly programmer, relying upon someone elses C libraries and compiler is not for me!

That depends on which version of MPLABX you have.

MPLABX v5.40 and higher no longer include support for the MPASM assembler. It has been replaced with the pic-as assembler which is part of XC8 (v2.20 or higher), and is a separate download/install. ASM code written for MPASM will not work with pic-as, so look for the porting guide and new documents on using the XC8 assembler.

MPLABX v5.35 has the last version of MPASM v5.87 included, but since it's a year or so old now it doesn't include all the latest devices.

That depends on which version of MPLABX you have.

MPLABX v5.40 and higher no longer include support for the MPASM assembler. It has been replaced with the pic-as assembler which is part of XC8 (v2.20 or higher), and is a separate download/install. ASM code written for MPASM will not work with pic-as, so look for the porting guide and new documents on using the XC8 assembler.

MPLABX v5.35 has the last version of MPASM v5.87 included, but since it's a year or so old now it doesn't include all the latest devices.
Many Thanks.

You have come so closer.Until I learn C I want to write assembler on modern PICs (16F15313 etc...).MPLAB doesn't support modern PICs.So I have installed the MPLAB x IDE 5.35.

Still I'm in the create project stage.There is only mpasm & I cannot see XC8 assembler..!

Attachments

• assmbler.JPG
    assmbler.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 282
I would seriously ask yourself if you HAVE to use the chip concerned.
I was so disgusted with MPLABX I only use chips supported by MPLAB.
Like you I am what I beleive is called a bare metal assembly programmer, relying upon someone elses C libraries and compiler is not for me!
I'm same like you.I selct PICs which is in MPLAB.But want to write to modern ones which has new modules.Struggling to create an assembly project 15 hours upto now.Still cannot create one.

If you want to use the new PIC-AS assembler:
1) download and install MPLABX v5.45
2) download and install XC8 v2.31. This will get you PIC-AS
3) tear out hair because everything you've learned/written so far will not work with PIC-AS.

There are lots of examples out there for creating an MPASM project using MPLABX v5.35

If you want to use the new PIC-AS assembler:
1) download and install MPLABX v5.45
2) download and install XC8 v2.31. This will get you PIC-AS
3) tear out hair because everything you've learned/written so far will not work with PIC-AS.

There are lots of examples out there for creating an MPASM project using MPLABX v5.35
Thanks.I'm getting this error message when creating a project :( in MPLABX v5.35

"MPASM is not supported on 64 bit Operating Systems. Please consider migrating your project "Hello_World" configuration "default" to XC8 Assembler or continue to use a previously released IDE"

Last edited:
I use both because I program mainly in C.. However! I own Proteus and ever since V5 they had a tool called VSM studio which automatically finds and configures every tool you have... Ergo, the one I always use..

"MPASM is not supported on 64 bit Operating Systems. Please consider migrating your project "Hello_World" configuration "default" to XC8 Assembler or continue to use a previously released IDE"
Is it actually stopping you from building the project?

If you're running on windows you should be able to ignore that message. It was put in before they switched everything to 64-bit in v5.40.

From that page...
The MPASM™ toolchain will no longer be installed with MPLAB® X IDE starting with v5.40. This means no toolchain will be available by default when the IDE is installed for the first time. Therefore, you will see a message on opening the IDE that there is no toolchain installed.
And then a bit later under "compiler requirements" it states that you need the PIC assembler from XC8 (PIC-AS)

MPASM = MPASMWIN = MPASMX

They're all the same tool, just named differently in some installations. PIC-AS is a different animal. This is Microchip after all...

MPASM = MPASMWIN = MPASMX
Not sure on that one... If I use MPASM in VSM.... pages of trash... MPASMWIN.. works with the usual warnings ( only because I never turn warnings off)

If I use MPASM in VSM
I have no idea what proteus wants, nor do I care.

All I'm saying is that the three names you'll find for MPASM all refer to the same tool.
The name has changed as versions changed and time moved on, but pretty much the same exe.

Anyway I had to shift from excellent MPLAB IDE to worst MPLABX IDE to write to modern PICs. I like to continue with assembly. I got several problems in everywhere & this is a real mess.

When creating a new project in old mplab we including the ".inc" file. Ex: P16F628A.INC in projects tree.

Suraj143

To avoid wasting my / your time, here is my question:

If you are genuinely interested I could post some concrete details details that could have you up and running easily with pic-as 2.31, but no rant please. What is gone, is gone.

I am working in Assembler (as I always did - no conversant in C) with pic-as 2.31 and got already several projects running satisfactorily.

Are you interested?

Last edited:
As MPLAB X versions above 5.35 are a pure 64-bit application, and MPASM is a purely 32-bit application, and Microchip has dropped all further development for MPASM (so there will never be MPASM-64), support for MPASM was dropped in the later 64-bit releases of MPLAB X. As was mentioned earlier, you can still install MPLAB X 5.35, which comes with the latest version of MPASM, by downloading it from the MPLAB archive.

Just like MPLAB 5.40 and 5.45, MPLAB X 5.30 and 5.35 support the new DFP system (Device Family Pack). This enables adding support for newer devices by installing a DFP's for the new devices through MPLAB X. However, according to the 5.35 Release Notes, not all new devices added by a Device File Pack are guaranteed to work in these versions of the IDE .

Suraj143

To avoid wasting my / your time, here is my question:

If you are genuinely interested I could post some concrete details details that could have you up and running easily with pic-as 2.31, but no rant please. What is gone, is gone.

I am working in Assembler (as I always did - no conversant in C) with pic-as 2.31 and got already several projects running satisfactorily.

Are you interested?
I'm interested.
In my case, I have and existing assembler design running on a 16F688 that I'd like to port to one of the newer, less expensive processors. The PIC16F688 is about $1.50. The PIC16F18323 is $0.80.

But the cost savings is not the only thing. I'd like to add some functionality that's better supported in the newer chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back