Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moved post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Entertainer

Hi, all

I am new to this place so plz forgive me for stealing the thread.
I need help with my first electronics project.
I am building a simple DC fan controller for my computer. I already bought rheostats and tested them. My problem is that I want to implement a set of lights that will indicate the power going to the fans (well sord of). I decided to use 5 LED's for this but as you know the voltage varies between 5v-12v DC. So I was thinking to create something like a sub channel for every LED so that it lights up at the needed voltage and goes out at the unneeded voltage. I can control it when it turns on by simply using a different kind of voltage regulator. The problem is that if I increase the voltage 2 much, LED's will blow. So I am looking for something that will act as an over voltage protector as well. For example LED # 1 will start at 5V and will have a maximum voltage coming in of 6V, just so it doesn't blow on me. My question is: What can I use to control the maximum voltage???

P.S. I tried some zenner Diodes but that didn't work...

Thanks, for your time! Any suggestions would be great!!!!

An LM3914 IC has 10 LED drivers and 10 voltage comparators driving them. It also has a ladder of 10 resistors that you can set to turn on the comparators from your fan's 5V to 12V.
The LM3914 has a pin to select a bar of lighted LEDs or just a moving dot of a single lighted LED. Look for its datasheet in Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back