Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motors and Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_3094

Lately I've been struggling to understand magnetic fields, inductors, transformers, and other magnetic field related components.

I have attached my notes on all of it if anyone wants to have a look.
Please excuse the coil drawings... I did them by hand in MS Paint :)

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Motors and Magnets.doc
    109.5 KB · Views: 161
Seems like you have a pretty good understanding of how it all works, Colin mostly made grammer/syntax corrections.

But he did not understand the most important aspect of a collapsing field - voltage is produced in the opposite direction.

**broken link removed**

According to this article, the left hand rule applies a non-conventional current flow

For electron flow it's proper, unless your a physicist it's best to get that idea out of your head immediately. The right hand rule always applies for conventional current. In a motor you're sending current through a coil. In a generator you're receiving it so the rule is reversed. The professor that taught the left hand rule was correct, but from an electron flow perspective, he was either a physicist or a purist.

Last edited:
The left and right hand rules were all devised in the time of conventional current flow.

I have made only some of the changes and I expect you to add them etc and then post the article for more comment. I only do small things at a time. I never produce an article under less than 10 re-writes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back