Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorola 68HC11 E series

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

hi all,
i'm using the Motorola 68HC11 E series as the uController for my final project. i can install my program into it easilly using hyperterminal. but the program is stored in the RAM, so when the power is off, i need to re-install.
does anyone know how to store the program into the EEPROM?

thanks a lot :D

Let us make a distinction here.
RAM - we know where this is and how its used
EEPROM - data storage @ 0xB600 or similar address
EPROM - code space generally from 0xC000 to 0xFFFF

There are several serial and parallel programmers which can put code in the EPROM area if there is a quartz window and the part can be erased. Since you are able to load code with hyperterm, I'm guessing that the EPROM contains a boot loader of some type. I'm not sure you can execute code from the EEPROM, but there is probably no way to cause the boot loader to link to that address.

The problem is that the RESET and interrupt vectors are at a location in the EPROM which you cannot change. I think you need to get an erasable part to do what you want to do.

i've found this data sheet. it teaches the way to program into the EEPROM. i can still understand it, but to clear the EEPROM, i don't understand it. it request to remove the J5? i don't know what about that. can anyone help me?
thanks

Attachments

• 68HC11 EEPROM.pdf
    203 KB · Views: 459
As I tried to explain in my previous post. The chip has an onboard charge pump circuit to generate the programming voltage for the EEPROM located at address 0xB600.

J5 is the connector that must provide +12V for programming the EPROM. I can't tell the specific configuration of your board so I'm not sure what it is capable of. Motorola did not make flash memory parts for this series. There are one time programmable parts and there are parts with a quartz window that can be erased by ultraviolet light.

Warning: If there is only one processor on your board and it has a window and you erase it then you will no longer be able to load programs in RAM and execute them.

If there is an empty socket on your board you may be able to get the board to program a chip placed in that socket. The chip can be either a one time programmable or an Ultra Violet Erasable part.

I do not know of any way that you could put a program in the EEPROM and be able to execute it after the power went away and came back unless you can reprogram the EPROM of the chip running the monitor.

so.. i should forget about programming in the EEPROM.. just program it into the RAM as usual.. thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back