Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motion sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinW

Is this the antenna at the upper right and can something be added to it to increase the range
slightly ?
sensor.JPG

That looks like a printed bottom-loaded antenna. I'm no expert, but I think a full-length 1/2-wave vertical dipole antenna might improve things if you want an omni-directional response, or a Yagi array if you want a directional response.

Thanks Alec.
That would be more than I require so I'll try relocating the base unit.
I was hoping I could add a small coil or something similar just to make it a tad more effective.

I was hoping I could add a small coil or something
The existing antenna should have been dimensioned and loaded for optimum response already: adding anything would then de-tune it.

This is an arduino where I did something like this, this is a wifi device, so I was fortunate in that there is plenty of antenna's around for wifi frequencies, I just pinched one off an old router that already had a connector on the end.
I pulled the ant off the board and soldered on a socket, range is now 3x.
If your device is wifi you can do this, or you could build your own ant, but it can get tricky.
IMG0036B.jpg

That got me searching for 315MHz antenna's and they are available but did you disable the original antenna or add the new antenna to it?

I disconnected the built in ant, you have to do that.

I wonder how that works, surely iy cannot rx and tx at the same time, must have a memory or something.

I would imagine it's intended for simple garage door remotes, so simply receives the small data packet and then retransmits it - it's probably fairly dependent on what's been transmitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back