Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motion Sensor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry D

I have a motion detector light over my garage door that turns the lights on whenever I turn on the florescent light over my work bench or plug or unplug items on my workbench outlets. The detector is wired to the end of my bench.

Is there a filter I can make that would aleviate this problem made with locally supplied parts?

(Pain in the butt to keep resetting the motion detector!)

Thanks, Jerry

You are not the only one with that problem. The motion sensor light over my front door comes on whenerver I switch the ceiling fan (on or off).
I just ignore it as the thing times out all by itself.
You could try those switch bypass capacitor/resistor combo's that are often found across switches on power tools.
Or just ignore it 8) unless yours does not time out by itself and you have to reset it manually for some strange reason.

I'm with you Klaus, why do we put up with it. I've tried some manufacturer sites but have been unable to get a fix.

My problem is that sometimes the lights just stay on all night if I don't reset them.

The next time I have my electric drill apart I'll look for the noise suppressor you spoke of.

Jerry

Jerry, no need to take your drill apart :) . Have a look for 'snubber capacitors' or 'contact suppressors' in the capacitor section of your electronics shop. It *has* to be rated for the mains voltage in your area.

I do not know if it works best mounted across the supply to your security light or at your workshop supply.

Of course, you could always take your light apart and see what (if any) suppression they have fitted inside and upgrade that. I have not looked inside mine but I imagine there is some DC supply for the motion sensor circuitry which could have an extra capacitor added for noise bypass.

ZNR?

I looked through an old Digikey catalog and I ran across something called a "ZNR" Transient/Surge Absorbers. Most look like a disk capacitor.
Is anybody familiar with this device and does it sound like it may work for my problem? They're only 29 cents each (1999) so they couldn't possibly work! (Or do they?)
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back