Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motion light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preston

I have one of the motion detector night lights that has quit. I took it apart and the battery seems good, the small solar panel is charging but the circuit board looks like it has some "weathering" on it. The light sensitive diode, I think that what it is, has a oxidation looke to it. Does anyone know how the best way to test this is and what is involved in changing out the sensor? I'm wanting to make a chicken coop door operatort out or it.

Ideas?

Is this for the chickens to get out or the fox to get in?
If you are talking about an infrared motion detector a chicken will not trigger it. E

I'll have to take it apart again for a pic.

No, I'm not letting a fox or a coon in. I just have an idea and I was trying to find out how to get this device operational again.

I have one of the motion detector night lights that has quit. I took it apart and the battery seems good, the small solar panel is charging but the circuit board looks like it has some "weathering" on it. The light sensitive diode, I think that what it is, has a oxidation looke to it. Does anyone know how the best way to test this is and what is involved in changing out the sensor? I'm wanting to make a chicken coop door operatort out or it.

Ideas?

There seems (to me) to be a conflict in the description; Is it a PIR motion detector or is it like one of those solar powered walkway lights that turns on at dusk 7 off at dawn? or is it some mixture of the two that I'm not aware of?

I used to have this at the back walk. It would sense motion and turn on for whatever time it was set for. Most times I had it set for 15 seconds. I bought it so the wife would have light from her car to the back porch other than the back porch light. We live in the country with no light outside other than what we produce. I don't like yard lights and won't use um. I feel if a thief comes to the house to do harm, why should I light the way for him. If someone gets close enough to turn on the light then my dog will know he there and from there I take care of it. This light works off a small solar panel into a, I think, 6 v battery. If there was a way to replace the motion detector with a light sensor that would work great. I just don't know much at all about circuits. Years ago I work with some but that was many years ago. :)

Seems like you need a dark-activated light, check this one. Sorry if the book looks childish!

Maybe you can find some required components inside the damaged lamp. Remember to replace the 47K resistor according to your LED requirements.

View attachment 63722

EDIT:

Scanning quality is very poor:

Q1: 2N3904 transistor

R1: 47K
R2 15K
R3: 100K potentiometer

Last edited:
NO no, that does not look childish. Right down my alley. My problem is I know some spanish but not quite enough to get it all. I did get the most of what you say though. Your diagram made a light go off in my old grey matter.

How is the potentiometer adjusted?

Thanks Felipe.

Last edited:
I'm glad it served :) The potenciometer is to adjust the circuit sensitivity to light and dark.

When you get the circuit working, a relay can be added to control bigger loads than those shy LED's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back