Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mostek mk3870 cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search the forum

There was somebody recently, I think it was here in ETO, trying to do something with a Mostek like that. (maybe reading some memory in it), not sure.

Have you searched ETO?

Rather OLD, isn't it?

There was somebody recently, I think it was here in ETO, trying to do something with a Mostek like that. (maybe reading some memory in it), not sure.

Have you searched ETO?

Rather OLD, isn't it?

hi atferrari, thank you for your reply, sorry i googled ETO mostek , " ETO programmer " but got nothing , any further help plz ?

I am shortly attempting to read the 3870 with the plan being to replace it with a modern device. Will post results here...

John :-#)#

hi atferrari, thank you for your reply, sorry i googled ETO mostek , " ETO programmer " but got nothing , any further help plz ?

Sorry, I did not see your question.

ETO = electro-tech-online, this forum.

Last edited:
I am shortly attempting to read the 3870 with the plan being to replace it with a modern device. Will post results here...

Will you?

Good Luck with that ... Mosteks' 3870 were a second source of Zilogs' Z80 series. That you have an OTP ROM type chip, it's essentially unreadable. Not flash OR EPROM .. doesn't matter: the code isn't retrievable.

Not to say it CAN'T be read & decoded... just that by the time it's been done; a qualified coder would have "clean room" written it 2X times... BTDT (MANY times)

Last edited:
Actually it can be read, read the documents and follow the instructions on setting the correct voltage on the TEST pin, then you insert code to cause the micro to pop out one byte, then some more code to get it to pop out the second byte and so on. Mostly it takes time to read as each byte of code extracted takes twice as long to retrieve as the previous one (as I understand it).

hey Jrr
so your final answer is : even if it can be read, it won't be write? my purpose is to read it then program the dump into another cpu.. would i be able to do that ?
thx in advance

Not sure what you mean exactly. The MK3870 is factory programmed (masked) and can't be altered in the field (to the best of my knowledge) so, yes, it can be read, but no it can't be programmed.
What you want to find are one of the piggy-back 3870s, read the one you want duplicated and then program a 2716 and put on the piggyback cpu. Reading the device takes cycling the TEST pin as I understand it - there is a process, but it is a bit long and involved and you probably need to make some hardware up to do it...and then write software to run the hardware. I only know it CAN be done, I haven't attempted to read one (yet).

dear john,
i really appreciate your help, i m giving up with this project :) i m here if you need anything from china:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back