Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really do need to give us more information. How many pulses per revolution does your drive train give? How big are your tires? What is the rear end ratio?

I doubt the drive shaft gives just one pulse per revolution, but assuming it is just one (1), then 6800 pulses per minute = 6800 rpm. If the rear end is 4:1 (I know that would be very unusual), then the tires are rotating at 6800/4 or 1700 rpm. Now, if you have a common 14" tire, the rolling circumference is 66" (**broken link removed**). 66x1700/12 = 9350 feet/minute = 156 feet/second = 106 mph. Obviously, that is not 10 mph. Something is wrong. Even if the final drive (before differential) is giving 4 pulses per revolution, it is still a lot more than 10 mph.

How about giving us some real data to work with to help troubleshoot this problem?

JOhn

The transmission will generate twelve pulses per revolution of the "output" shaft. I can get all of the gear ratios and tire data you want but I don't see how this will help. The drill was only used to excite the sensor which I determined was working because the ecu is showing a speed. (I tried spinning the tire with the sensor in the transmission but could only get 1-2mph before the limited slip would lock up, preventing me from spinning the wheel at all) I ran a test on the digidash today(with its software) that supposed to allow you to do a sensor check. Now I would assume if my circuit is grounding the signal wire when on it would at least show it's receiving a signal. What other data would you like?

It is only a guess, but your cluster may have a small pull up resistor to +5 and the 10K in the source of your circuit may not pull it low enough. Try this one.
Not sure of what to make of the pulse count.

Attachments

• inverter.png
    inverter.png
    98 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
The only reason for asking the gear ratios and tire sizes was to do a quick reality check on your observed indication of 10 mph at 6800 ppm. So, knowing the 12 pulses per revolution, that part checks to be OK.

I agree with ronv's suggestion. If it then stays off, reduce the turn-off resistor size for the mosfet.

John

Last edited:
It works!!!!! I duplicated ronv's diagram and its perfect. Thank you all again for your help! This beats spending $85 for a speed converter and taking the easy way out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back