Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET switching issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
If what he really has is a 1N60 it's not a Fet It's a diode that come's in a 3 pin package and seeing the poster not saying if for sure it's a 1N60.

Not said nothing just blowing over good deal
I no they sell them saying there mosfet

Cause I got a bag of 50 1N60 there diodes and when looking i found some in 3 pin package

Now if you got really one of these
http://www.unisonic.com.tw/datasheet/1N60.pdf
it would never work for what your trying to do.
As far as I understand your english I can ascertain that my 1N60 has three (3) legs, hence not a diode. Rest assured: we are dealing here with a 3-legged MOSFET, datasheet included in a previous post.

There are 3 leg diodes packages in the 1N60 look like a plain to92

Then there are MOSFET called 1N60 its in a To220 package but it will not work for what your wanting to do

Maybe it you hand picked one out of 100 It looks to need a high gate voltage to turn on
The data sheet shows it tested at 10 volts to the gate. It's +- 30 gate voltage
You need a logic level one.

Unisonic is a Taiwanese company. Are their Mosfets any good or are they like other Chinese trash?
Why not buy from International Rectifier or a European company instead?

Unisonic is a Taiwanese company. Are their Mosfets any good or are they like other Chinese trash?
Why not buy from International Rectifier or a European company instead?
Don't they all have their wafer foundries in Taiwan, China, or Korea anyways?

My initial impression (since deleted as Pommie in post 10 said effectively the same thing) was that you needed a turn-off resistor.* It is bothersome that with a 10k resistor on an output pin you only read 1 V. EDIT: Is that read with a scope or with a voltmeter? If voltmeter, you are probably just seeing an average.

An output pin should be able to drive more than that. Also noted that D10 (Arduino) is Atmega !SS pin. Are you sure that function is turned off?

Can you completely disconnect D10 and D11 and leave only D9 attached to your mosfet?

*Some programs toggle the impedance (i.e., input vs output) state of a pin instead of toggling the logic state of an output pin.
Solved.
This last sentence got me checking my program: I had forgotten to declare the Arduino pin driving the MOSFET as an output, result was that instead of an active output only a pull-up resistor was defined on that pin. Just one line of code
pinMode(wakeStatus, OUTPUT);
The MOSFET was tested and is ok, actually amazing after all the abuse with soldering irons, heat, etc.. Sturdy component that 1N60.

Edit: and I will remove the parallel connections between digital I/O's, bad idea.

Yes sure, all that may happen is that their Quality Assurance dpt. finds a batch with a 0.00001% deviation from the QA specs is sold as 2nd degree quality. I buy truckloads of chinese components, almost never had issues and the few times I did have an issue I got my money back. Real traders and clever people these Chinese, no wonder they are conquering the world.

I was talking about the owner and management of the company. Western owners and management care about the quality of their Oriental-made products so they have rigorous quality control. The workers they hire also must care about the work they do.
LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Hyundai, Kia and more started out miserably but are excellent today.
In 1980 I worked with office telephone systems made by Goldstar (called LG Electronics today). Horrible soldering and reliability but very low cost.

I was talking about the owner and management of the company. Western owners and management care about the quality of their Oriental-made products so they have rigorous quality control. The workers they hire also must care about the work they do.
LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Hyundai, Kia and more started out miserably but are excellent today.
In 1980 I worked with office telephone systems made by Goldstar (called LG Electronics today). Horrible soldering and reliability but very low cost.
Hi audioguru, just a sidenote: I think you must have seen that the circuit in question in this thread is based on an idea by you: real great job you did on that. I use it in a sensor with long stainless steel probes; I measure once an hour during 2 seconds In a simulation over 5 year's use there is not any oxidation visible.

Hi audioguru, just a sidenote: I think you must have seen that the circuit in question in this thread is based on an idea by you: real great job you did on that.
Thanks, it must be the Plants Watering Watcher circuit that I fixed 13 years ago.

"however if the micro only pulls up and goes high imp when off thats why your load doesnt switch off."
I was on the right lines.
I've made the same mistake many times.

You're driving the gate with 3 I/O pins, do you drive these low to turn it off or switch them to input?

The above question was in post two. Had you answered it you would have found your error last year.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back