Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrath

Hello, I'm looking for a replacement mosfet for my golf buggy controller.
the numbers on it are as follows.

IRF 530
I R 917c
05 36

Thanks, Garrath

The Mosfet is an IRF530.
The manufacturing date is week 36, 2005

It was made by international rectifiers (IR) but I don't know what 917c is (maybe some production line or lot number code).

IR sold their Mosfet business so here is a reasonable replacement with the same irf530. Other members may offer up a different Mosfet that can be used - one that runs cooler with lower R(on) than this old-school design.

Ir,

Hey thanks Gophert, do you think that the date could be 1995 since the golf cart was manufactured in 1999?

You probably could also use the IRF540 MOSFET as a replacement, it has similar characteristics and has a lower RDSon resistance (can pass more current or generates less heat at same current as IRF530).
Of course, the IRF530 should work fine too...

yes, the IRF530 or the IRF540 should work, and are no different than the original parts.
IR and Siliconix were bought by Vishay (i think IR and Siliconix merged first, then later Vishay bought Siliconix) so the tooling and process for making the IRF530 is the original IR process.
wow... Vishay has bought up a lot of component companies... then again, ON, TI, and AD have too... it would be interesting just from a historical perspective to build a "tree" beginning in the late 1950s

Hey thanks Gophert, do you think that the date could be 1995 since the golf cart was manufactured in 1999?

It could be. Some manufacturers set the year in the "date code" to 0 or 1 for the first year of production and tick up from there. Also, are you sure the cart hasn't suffered the same problem in the past 15-years? It could have happened in the past and the irf530 replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back