Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

more induction heater stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

i am eventually going to do this:
https://www.mindchallenger.com/inductionheater/inductionlevitation.html

but first ima start small with this:
**broken link removed**

however i have got it set up and have had a few changes that may impact my circuit,

1) i used 44n50 mosfets
2) my diodes across the gate are 16v, will using a 13v supply be too low a voltage(ie are those diodes used for protection or avalanch switching?)

3) i used 400 ohm(2k||2k||2k||1k) resistors instead of 470ohm
4) the 10k resistors are 4k pot series with 6k resistor(or vice versa!!)
5) my 400v fast diodes are 600v
6)my supply is limited 13v@ 5 amps
7)to get my first inductor i checked digikey for the proper part, seeing the picture i realized i had a transformer similar, so i checked the inductance on each coil, 7mh, both too low, so i wondered what would happen if i wired em in series, so i tried, but both coils canceled out to 0mh, so i then flipped the one coil the other way, now meter shows 20mh!! can i trick the circuit like i did the meter??

is this all ok?

currently i hooked the circuit to the scope at the gate&drain&betweenInductors to ground, where there was a 120hz ripple from about 5v-3v, this ripple was seen from all the points so i am guessing it was related to the surge protection in my supply, putting the scope on the coil did show a small 13v spike at the begining of each ripple, was that it working(slightly)?? i just got a variac, rectifier, an smoothing caps,
but i hesitate to hook it up yet since i have no way to hook in with the scope, so far i tried the scope across the output of the rectifier alone and the variac started to humm alot, and my ground wire on probe got really hot, this even happened when i switched the scope to ac coupling mode, still surprised i didn't fry scope,
I figure it is the same problem as why my car deck humms when pluged to laptop running on inverter,,, but anyway what is the fix, ac pass capacitor?

also is there a way to safely test this circuit before crankin er up, circuit says it needs 10 amps, but is there a way to control it at say 5, like a pace car, just so i can test it without frying mosfets and others, ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back