Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monitor turns off for approx 1 second when fridge starts?? Why??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If three different cables result in, good, bad, and ugly, then the problem is probably not power line problems.
I am not getting a DVI to Cat5 converter.

How are the Cat5/6 cables running - in parallel with the circuit wires for the fridge, or not? What I am thinking here is that the startup of the fridge is somehow inducing a spike via the electrical cord or circuit to the fridge, and this is feeding back to the Cat5/6 cable to your video, somehow upsetting things. They say when wiring a network to cross power circuits at right-angles with to the Cat5/6, and to not parallel a Cat5/6 cable near a mains circuit, or in the same conduit (part of this is common electrical code - shorts and other electrical issues, mixing low/high voltage in same cable path a no-no, etc - but part is the interference issue). Perhaps the "surge" is altering (power-factor?) the waveform on the mains, and this inductance in the Cat5/6 is upsetting the frequency of the video signal, and dropping the sync-lock at the monitor?

When we design DVI products a difference in wire length is very critical. The wire pairs from the connector to the IC are very critical. I don't know why I keep all the PCB traces the same length to within 1mm and then the signals get divided between two cat-5 cables that may be the same length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back