Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

monitor for controller - what is interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevez

My brother has a mill with a CNC controller/display that was new in 1985. The display no longer works. The display appears to be a monitor package that was purchased as an assembly for people like the controller manufacturer. I presume it's more or less a standard monochrome model. The monitor assembly consists of a small CRT, a frame and a circuit board that has the flyback transformer and other components. It takes 12 vdc from the machine control cabinet and there are three wires that run from the card rack on the controller. The wires make up the connection or interface between the controller and the monitor. They are labelled 'X', 'Y' and 'Z' - they might be sheilded cables but dont' appear to be treated as if they were RF.

1. Is this some sort of standard interface and if so, describe what I'd expect to see in terms of volts, waveform, etc.

2. Is a monitor of this vintage likely to go into a sleep mode lacking some input from the controller? I ask this because while 12 vdc is at the terminals and the CRT filament lights there is not the typical buzzing that one might hear from a normally operating monitor.

If I understood the interface I could troubleshoot better or simply look for a replacement.

Clinton Electronics made the CRT and maybe even the whole thing - I've emailed them. CDI Inc. Addison, Ill, may have sold the unit but I am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

This circuit activates external electrical devices using DTMF decoder (8870) and the PIC16FXX that controls the DTMF signals to turn the devices on and off. great article for what you are looking to do i think.

Ragards.

Attachments

• Activating an electrical device.pdf
    412.3 KB · Views: 253
This circuit activates external electrical devices using DTMF decoder (8870) and the PIC16FXX that controls the DTMF signals to turn the devices on and off. great article for what you are looking to do i think.

Ragards.

Is there any reason for posting the same reply to various old threads? - this one is over FIVE years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back