1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern HF fluorescent lighting

Discussion in 'High Voltage' started by danrogers, Feb 7, 2012.

1. danrogers

danrogers Member

Hi all, I'm looking at the advantages of modern high frequency lighting over older low frequency lighting (mains frequency).

I need to compare primarily the economics of the two. I have been googling for a few hours but not managing to find much of use.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or has their own personal views/experiences?

Many thanks :)

2. alec_t

alec_t Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

The comparison may give different results depending on such things as total wattage and whether or not the lights are to be dimmed. Can you be more specific as to the lighting systems you want to compare?

3. Diver300

Diver300 Well-Known Member

In my experience, the HF ones are easier to work under, as the 100 Hz flashing of standard lights affects a significant proportion of people, including me. The economics don't come from reduced energy use.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. danrogers

danrogers Member

Well I just need compare the older low frequency ballasts with the newer ones that run at something like 30KHz.

I need to compare them mainly from a economic point of view, with regards to the cost of manufacture, cost of disposal, length of service cost to purchase etc. It is a big of a vague assignment really (I'm studying HNC electrical & electronic engineering).

6. MrAl

MrAl Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Hi,

Are you including the required bulb holder in the older type for the cost comparison? That was a significant part of the cost back then.

7. danrogers

danrogers Member

Hi MrAl, I will be looking into all aspects of the lights. Thanks for the input - when you say bulb holder do you mean the compact flouro bulbs or the tubular fittings?

8. duffy

duffy New Member

You shipping overseas? We changed to electronic ones at work a few years back because they will automatically switch 120/220V, one part to stock, one less thing to keep track of.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. MrAl

MrAl Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Hi,

I meant the ones that do not screw into a base, like the tube bulbs yes. The screw in ones dont require a special fixture so that might make a difference in the cost to some people.