Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modern day Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
My daughter is currently in Japan, she's there for a conference next week, so has taken her husband a week early to have a holiday as well. The conference is in Tokyo, currently they are staying out near Mount Fuji.

They are staying in an authentic Japanese style hotel with paper walls and sliding screens etc.

Here's a picture of the TV in the room :D

TV.jpg

It's like going back 20 years :D

Here's a picture of the TV in the room
I will agree that it is a bit in congruous in modern times, but consider:

If it works correctly, why replace it?

How often is it used? Maybe it averages one or two hours per day, so the lower energy use of an LCD/LED type of tv does not justify the capital expense of its purchase.

Maybe the Japanese psyche does not include the rampant consumerism and "keep up with the Jones's (Suzuki's)" culture of the west.

JimB

It might also have to do with the lack of landfill space and/or the cost of disposal and replacement.

I will agree that it is a bit in congruous in modern times, but consider:

If it works correctly, why replace it?

How often is it used? Maybe it averages one or two hours per day, so the lower energy use of an LCD/LED type of tv does not justify the capital expense of its purchase.

Maybe the Japanese psyche does not include the rampant consumerism and "keep up with the Jones's (Suzuki's)" culture of the west.

JimB

Quite the opposite, Japan is a VERY consumer driven society, and often have new items to replace still quite new equipment, so I was very surprised to see that old TV. However, as this is 'out in the sticks' perhaps they are less consumer driven?.

There used to be a large grey import market in the UK for fairly new Japanese cars (probably the same in Oz?), as the Japanese regularly replace their cars, so there's a big surplus of good second hand models.

However, I wouldn't have thought the TV is going to see any use, I doubt there's any English or Dutch programming available, and neither of them speak Japanese - although my daughter did used to play and sing some Japanese songs a few years ago :D

Do folk still have VHS tapes (if thats what the sharp thingy is)
That was exactly my thought :D

However, when I looked at another of her pictures, of the whole room (complete with six inch high 'table') it's floor standing, so presumably an air conditioner, dehumidifier, or similar?. You don't want the paper walls getting soggy :D

Problem with that TV is no USB socket to charge your phone. A useful tip when staying anywhere with a modern TV.

Mike.

Never forgot a 60 minutes piece, guessing timeframe 70's / 80's, on a recycling
plant in Japan that was, at that time, something like 80% effective. Americans still
constructing mountains of crap that will take Plutonium's 1/2 life to get rid of. And
we ship to to other countries to bless them our rot.

My father, right up until his death, active lobbying fisherman not to use drag
nets, which were, and still are, destroying ocean floors, one of the principal habitats
on the globe.

One can see their homes, and talk to them, visit their shrines, and see the
discipline they conduct themselves with.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
One can see their homes, and talk to them, visit their shrines, and see the
discipline they conduct themselves with.

Funny you should mention that :D

shrine.jpg

And on a more forum oriented theme, she found a severed cable, followed it, and found this. I'm sure most of us know exactly what it was. But looks a pretty crappy job.

ariel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back