Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mock up of reel to reel computer/ tape machine/VCR

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i remember correctly, many tape systems used NRZ (nonreturn-to-zero) encoding on the tape, which is similar to PSK (phase shift keying) used in radio systems. some also used FSK data on the tape (most of the early home computers using cassette tapes). computers like the TI 99/4, Radio Shack Color Computer, and Commodore 64 used FSK at speeds between 1200 and 2400 baud. some others used 300-600 baud. early home computers also had only one control channel to the tape player, and that was the remote switch, which turned the motor on and off, the user had to do the cueing, record, and play functions manually. there were companies like KYBE that made cassette and reel systems for mainframes (i worked there for a while in the late 1970s).

there were two "types" of cassette storage, the first was a dedicated cassette drive that operated similar to mainframe reel tape machines. i found a brochure for one here:
http://www.retrotechnology.com/mcm800/mfe260_transport.pdf
the control board for this drive is shown here (i think the digital chips are RTL logic): http://www.retrotechnology.com/mcm800/mcm800_cassette_board1.jpg
there's a company that still makes the cassette transport hardware (add your own control logic and analog circuits) http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/the_digital_group/phideck.html

the other type that was more common with home computer use was the normal audio tape player that everybody had 2 or 3 or more in their household.

in case you need any information about how cassette systems worked, there are some details (including schematics of the interface circuits) here:
http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/cass_super.html

Actual original mag tape gear is scarce and/or extremely expensive; however,

You can still get old paper tape readers easily enough on ebay - eg.
**broken link removed**
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FANUC-CNC-TAPE-READER-A20B-0004-0270-PC-BOARD/131749797654

You can't get much more authentic than that for old computer gear; you could use one as-is or modify it as a transport for magnetic tape.

You can also find punched tapes for various machines or reels of blank tape for punching.

Although now rare, there are still a few old NC machine tools about with paper tape gear; I've still got a portable punch/reader in my collection of service gear.

I think we are going way over the top of what he wants/needs, plus he needs to do most of it himself. He is going to join but worried he dosnt know enough, i have told him it isnt like that here and most of this info was for my benefit so i could work out what he could do.

Great 'kid' actually (kid! blimey how it changes), he has the run of my workshop and parts bin. I forgot what its like when your starting out with maybe a tiny box of components ad a £3 multi meter! He was here tonight so spent most of it on the scope with him, seems really bright. The logic analyzer threw him a bit but mine is a old HP one with 196 lines and all the stuff you dont need!

Apparently he has a old cassette recorder at home, so will bring it over when he next comes.

Had another chat with him, TBH i dont think he can do this without going beyond 'guidance', so we talked some more and he gave me his original short shortlist (3 things on it!). One thing caught my eye because ages ago i got hold of linear technology alternative energy dev kit and one from wurth elecktronic (i think thats the name). Both boards are designed to take tiny power sources and do something useful with them.

He had curie effect engine on his list...... So now i am wondering if one of those designed to wack a piezo drum sensor would produce enough to run the dev board. He is thinking it over but if he goes that way, we will share the plan with you. thx for the info on tape drives, for me that isnt dead. I might have a use for that as i have started collecting really old computers. I would love a ZX80, C64, Amiga.

So far i have a PET 80 and VIC20, a spectrum 128 and an unknown atari that isnt complete, apparently if you collect comps you need a BBC model B, but havnt seen any around for a while, not major looking at the moment as i need to put all my cash into stock for the show season. Also still after a steam engine (model), thats to finish off a demo of a system i want to build full scale.

Finally got seedlings poking up in the poly tunnel!! got to get that heated next year, snow ruined things this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back