Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mixed analog/digital PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beagles

Hi! I am trying to figure out different design issues that has to be taken when mixing analog/digital signals.

So far I have used the different "basic" knowledge such as decoupling caps., separate gnd for analog and digital circuits etc.

But still some issues remains. Since I am such a rookie it is hard to know exactly what has to be done.

What I have; an A/D converter an microprocessor with a clock speed of maximum 14MHz. A/D is taking in signals from another PCB (pure analog) and I do have op. buffers on the receiving side. Every IC is decoupled with ceramic .1uF caps.

But what about analog gnd and digital gnd?? How should they connect to each other? Should I use a small cap between the different planes?? Or just a thin line of copper? And the rest of the "world"? How should gnd be connected to the analog signal condition pcb mentioned above??

Lots of questions but still very important!!

Very nice if anyone would considering giving me some advice :)

Kind greetings
P

Beagles said:
Hi! I am trying to figure out different design issues that has to be taken when mixing analog/digital signals.

So far I have used the different "basic" knowledge such as decoupling caps., separate gnd for analog and digital circuits etc.

But still some issues remains. Since I am such a rookie it is hard to know exactly what has to be done.

What I have; an A/D converter an microprocessor with a clock speed of maximum 14MHz. A/D is taking in signals from another PCB (pure analog) and I do have op. buffers on the receiving side. Every IC is decoupled with ceramic .1uF caps.

But what about analog gnd and digital gnd?? How should they connect to each other? Should I use a small cap between the different planes?? Or just a thin line of copper? And the rest of the "world"? How should gnd be connected to the analog signal condition pcb mentioned above??

Lots of questions but still very important!!

Very nice if anyone would considering giving me some advice :)

Kind greetings
P

Keep analog signals far away from any high speed digital signals.

Keep any high current paths aways from sensitive return points in analog circuits.

Connect analog & digital GND planes together only at *ONE* point. Preferably back at the power supply entry.

Only bridge the planes with a capacitor if you must run a digital signal over the analog plane. Otherwise, don't do it.

Treat your digital and analog supplies (+/-VCC, VDD) as gnd returns as well. Because at high frequencies they are "ac gnd" just like your gnd planes.

without knowing more details from you, this is generic advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back