Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Misc Electronic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you put milliohm resistors in a circuit at mostly?

I sometimes see Milliohm resistor in circuit , but where do you put them in a circuit?

Values of that size are typically used for current sensing and they MAY be 4-terminal resistors.

This https://www.newark.com/simpson/0670... Products&MER=PPSO_S_C_Resistors_PrivateLabel is one that's a little on the wierd side, but it is a 4-terminal resistor. Note the scres and the Bolts on the resistor. Between the screws is a precision resistor. The bolts are use to attach the wire carrying the current.

They can also be used when transistors are placed in parallel and they are used in series with the emitters of some transistors.

yes i do seem them at work used on the emitters or a FETS source

why do they use milliohms resistors on the emitters or FETS source pins to ground?

Values of that size are typically used for current sensing

Current sensing what? what is current sense used for?

Nearly all decent class AB audio amplifiers.

In a class AB amplifier , where do they put the milliohm resistors mostly? they either use the milliohm resistor to do current sensing or to act like a fuse

Do you know any other circuits that uses milliohm resistors like a fuse or current sensing?

hi Billy Mayo,

I believe it would be more helpful to everyone, if the you created a new Thread with a specific question about a Topic, rather than this never ending 'Misc' Thread.

The reason being, is that if any member does a Forums Search on a topic, this Thread will keep appearing in the listing and he/she will have to trawl thru hundreds of Posts in order to find the required information being sought.

Eric
Moderation.

Today at work I have noticed that when One Decoupling cap is backwards it will pull down the Rail voltage, why does it pull down the DC buss rail voltage

They have multiple Decoupling Caps from Vcc to Ground, if one of the Electrolytic Capacitor is put in Backwards it will pull down the VCC to a lower voltage

12vdc VCC, if one of the decoupling caps is put in backwards it will pull it down to 10 volts or lower , but why?

When an Electrolytic capacitor is in backwards it acts like a short or open?

That decoupling cap is likely a Tantalum capacitor. They are polarized. They don't like surges either. Trash the cap and install a new one in it's place.

No, They are electrolytic capacitors, they get put in backwards by accident

When One of the electrolytic capacitors is backwards, it pulls down the VCC voltage, why is that?

The VCC's are either 12 volts or 5 volts

If there is a electrolytic capacitor put in backwards by accident it will pull the VCC down lower

I just don't know why it pulls down the voltage when a polarized capacitor is put in backwards

When a Polarized capacitor is reversed in a circuit it acts like a short or open? or how does it operate when its put in reverse or backwards?

What is this called? is this "reverse biasing" the electrolytic or polarized capacitor?

My Manager said that when you put a Polarized Capacitor in Backwards it acts like a Resistor, that's why the VCC rail voltage sinks and gets pulled down

Why does it act like a Resistor when a polarized capacitor is in reverse polarity?

From the link above "This is because a reverse-bias voltage above 1 to 1.5 V[4][5][6] will destroy the center layer of dielectric material via electrochemical reduction (see redox reactions). Following the loss of the dielectric material, the capacitor will short circuit, and with sufficient short circuit current, the electrolyte will rapidly heat up and either leak or cause the capacitor to burst, often in a spectacularly dramatic fashion."

Here "short circuit" is relative. For a capacitor autopsy see: https://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=1385

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back