Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

migrating from 8051 to AVR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikalogic

Hello fellows,

I just want to announce to the community that my new tutorial about migrating from 8051 to AVR microcontrollers is finally finished. Many have asked me for it, so here it is. I just hope that i won't find those 15 pages stolen (copy/pasted) on another website in two days!

here is the link: **broken link removed**

Hope you like it.

comments are welcome. :)

Hey Ika,

Looks great! It informed me of a few different things about the AVRs I hadn't known. I've cut my teeth on 8051s and I'm looking forward to having some time to move up to AVRs.

Torben

Torben said:
Hey Ika,

Looks great! It informed me of a few different things about the AVRs I hadn't known. I've cut my teeth on 8051s and I'm looking forward to having some time to move up to AVRs.

Torben

being an old 8051 fan myself, i'll be more than glad to assist you -in case you need- during your migration!

Comments referring to your webpage on AVR:

In need, there no difference between ATMEGA8, ATMEGA16, and ATMEGA32 but the size of the memories (FLASH and EEPROM).

Only true for 40-pin Mega16 and Mega32 but Mega8 has only 28-pins so will come with less I/O pins available.

IF you're using the ATMEGA16 right out from the box, it will be still configured to work on the internal 1Mhz oscillator, causing the timer to overflow every 0.26 seconds. Hence the following routing will be precisely executed every 0.262144 seconds:

Even with a 1MHz crystal one will not get exactly 0.266144 second, albeit with an internal RC oscillator. Just stick with 0.26 second.

Some AVR microcontrollers however are not directly supported by the functions provided by WinAVR like the ATMEGA48 or the ATMEGA168, because they require different EEPROM handling algorithms.

Are you sure you're not looking at old webpage material on the web? I checked the avr-libc that comes with WinAVR and this is what I have found.

"Presently supported are two locations of the EEPROM register set: 0x1F,0x20,0x21 and 0x1C,0x1D,0x1E (see __EEPROM_REG_LOCATIONS__)".

Mega48/88/168 eeprom registers are located at 0x1F,0x20 and 0x21.

avr-libc eeprom declarations

eblc1388 said:
Comments referring to your webpage on AVR:

Only true for 40-pin Mega16 and Mega32 but Mega8 has only 28-pins so will come with less I/O pins available.

Even with a 1MHz crystal one will not get exactly 0.266144 second, albeit with an internal RC oscillator. Just stick with 0.26 second.

Are you sure you're not looking at old webpage material on the web? I checked the avr-libc that comes with WinAVR and this is what I have found.

"Presently supported are two locations of the EEPROM register set: 0x1F,0x20,0x21 and 0x1C,0x1D,0x1E (see __EEPROM_REG_LOCATIONS__)".

Mega48/88/168 eeprom registers are located at 0x1F,0x20 and 0x21.

avr-libc eeprom declarations

Thanks a lot for the constructive comments.. i'll make sure to correct that!

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back