Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microprocessor directly communicating with web

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hello.

I'd like to pass data from a microprocessor directly to the web and to receive data from the web directly to the microprocessor.
So far I used the following configuration:
**broken link removed**

I dont have much knowledge on web communication.
I'm looking for a low-cost way to enable the microprocessor to pass data to the web and to receive data from the web. (I dont the microprocessor to be connected to the PC in order to transfer/receive data to/from the web).

The data-rate doesnt need to be high.
Currently, the data-rate is 115,200bps, and i'm satisfied with that.

I'd appreciate your advising.

Thank you.

Hello.

Since i'm at the very beginning of web communication subject, i'd appreciate if you could help me with some questions i have in mind.

The microcontroller I own (8051, from TI) is able to communicate with the outside world via 3 protocols - SPI, UART and wirelessly using ZigBee.

I assume that neither of these protocols can communicate with the web, right?

If so, am I to purchase a chip/module that on its one end, is able to communicate with the microcontroller, and on its other end, is able to communicate with the web?

As you can see, I'm pretty new to it.

Thank you.

Could you recommend please on an ethernet controller chip that can interface a 8051 microcontroller?

Do they communicate with each other via SPI?

Last edited:
Could you recommend please on an ethernet controller chip that can interface a 8051 microcontroller?
If you use the 8051, you'll have to find, or write, code for the TCP/IP stack and HTTP sever, etc. As mentioned by Bill, use something else more modern. ie: Something with an already built TCP/IP/HTTP library available. A long thread on this topic:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com...troller-interface-with-microcontroller.35572/
Do they communicate with each other via SPI?
Microchip makes the ENC28J60 which has a SPI interface.

Last edited:
Hey.
Thank you for helping me.

The ethernet controller needs an ethernet cabe in order to communicate with the web service, isnt it?

What i'm looking for is to communicate wirelessly with the web service.
How is it commonly done?

The ethernet controller needs an ethernet cabe in order to communicate with the web service, isnt it?
The ENC28J60 does.
What i'm looking for is to communicate wirelessly with the web service.
How is it commonly done?
MicroChip has the zeroG solution:
Product Search - microchipDIRECT
Note however, that wifi is a power hungry solution compared to something like ZigBee. You can't use ZigBee to connect directly to your router, but you could do this:
BatteryPowered-ZigBee --> Wallpowered-ZigBee-PIC-ENC28J6-->WiredRouter.

Last edited:
alphacat: I am working on an Ethernet project myself where i have several controllers on a data bus and they communicate with the ethernet.

Now for solution:

I am using an Ethernet chip ENC28J60 from microchip. I have downloaded and installed the free TCP/IP stack they provide. The latest version (at present) is 5.20. I hope that you have MPLAB and C18 installed. Open a demo project such as Webvend project there and study it a little bit. It contains all the necessary elements you require. There are like two three files that you will need to work on.
Also watch the web seminar TCP/IP Networking Part 1: Web-Based Status Monitoring

CustomHTTPApp.c (which will handle all your data requests from web-browser)
MainDemo.c (which will handle your state machine logic of system)

Play a little with TCPIPCongif.h
and HardwareProfile.h

Thats all you really need to do.

As for me, i am actually handling larger amounts of data and using AJAX calls etc so i am using PIC24F (The one in Explorer 16 board from microchip) Also its easier to code when you have larger memory for such projects. PIC18F series are also good but for first timers i highly recommend PIC24F. Once you have all your requirements met, you can shrink code and try to fit in lower controllers.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back