Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microphone / stereo headphone cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly_k

Hey folks, so I am sick of buying my son new headphones when the wire inevitably breaks. I know they are only £20 a pop but they are good quality in general and it would be nice to be able to rewire.
Trouble is, having problems finding suitable replacement cable with the necessary screening and individual conductors for stereo audio and microphone...

There must be something out there!

Any tips?

I am sick of buying my son new headphones when the wire inevitably breaks. I know they are only £20 a pop but they are good quality in general
This doesn't answer your question, but will likely solve your problem:
Tell him that he has to buy the next set... ;)

You can get a spare cable for the Sony MDR-7506 headphones, which should last a looong time!

Or, this is a generic copy, cheaper but should be perfect for what you need:

See the review on that listing for the wire colours.

(If you want to get complete new headphones, consider the MDR-7506; they are exceptional quality, virtually indestructible and even come with a spare parts list for maintenance...)

You can get a spare cable for the Sony MDR-7506 headphones, which should last a looong time!

Or, this is a generic copy, cheaper but should be perfect for what you need:

See the review on that listing for the wire colours.

(If you want to get complete new headphones, consider the MDR-7506; they are exceptional quality, virtually indestructible and even come with a spare parts list for maintenance...)
Thanks but they have no microphone lead! However, with your lead I managed to hunt down this..

**broken link removed**

So I will stick a socket in his headphones and that will be solved!

This doesn't answer your question, but will likely solve your problem:
Tell him that he has to buy the next set... ;)
He isn't bad, just I think in all honesty he plays a bit too much. Gonna have to get stricter with time allowance!

Was in no way saying your son is bad, just probably not aware of actions which do not help the longevity of the cables.
The main problem is violating the minimum bend radius on the cables, IMO. This normally happens right next to the strain-relief.
I still have the original Lightning charge cable that came with the iPhone 7, because it doesn't get pulled towards me when it is plugged in to charge, in order to keep using it. Our kids are addicted to their devices these days, because they have always had them, unlike us. Our daughter has previously gone through so many Lightning cables (even the 'reinforced' or 'heavy duty' ones) and ear buds, it's embarrassing, but whilst the bank of Mom & Dad are paying, hey-ho, new ones keep being supplied. Headphone and ear bud cables tend to get wrapped tightly around the phone, whilst still plugged in, then stuffed in a pocket, bag, or backpack. Headphone cables sometimes tend to get wrapped tightly around the cups/headband, bending at the strain-relief...
Once the responsibility of treating the cables properly is highlighted, and the consequence of not doing so, there is a bit more respect given towards their fragility.
My 0.02.

EDIT: another one to look at is the cord storage habits of our female loved-ones' hairdryers and curling/flat irons...:oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back