Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microController vs. ethernet controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anybody knows the difference between microController and Ethernet controller?

as long I know, we could found ethernet controller in NIC. Ethernet controller (RTL8019AS, Crystal8900) has file register, SRAM.
on the other hand, microcontroller has these components as well.

1. can we use microcontroller to simulate the ethernet controller?

2. what's the main different between uC and Ethernet C?

3. what's the purpose/function of EthernetC and uC?

cheers.

I didn't check into the specifics of the ethernet controller that you listed but every ethernet controller that I know of is not capable of running as a stand alone device. The ethernet controller is strictly an interface to a medium that is incompatable with a microcontroller.

The microcontroller is required to setup the ethernetC, send it data, and make sense of the data that it receives.

Think of the association like your Motherboard and video card. The video card has memory and file registers just like the motherboard, but the video card is useless unless you have a motherboard to control it.

janetsmith2000@yahoo.com said:
yeap, but i wonder, since uC is powerful than ethernet controller, can we use uC to replace ethernet controller?

You wouldn't be able to replace the the ethernet controller with a uC because the microcontroller cannot produce a waveform compatible with ethernet specs without substantial external hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back