Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamN

Here is a schematic I drew up for my Tachometer circuit. It uses a LED/phototransistor pick up to measure rotations of a turbine rotar shaft, max RPM measured is 200,000 rpm. I am new to microcontrollers so let me know what you think, any changes, or things I did wrong. Let me know what you think of it.

Attachments

• Ferq12.gif
    Ferq12.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,218
If you cant get rid of the 595 by connecting the leds to port b directly (dont have a datasheet for mega8 handy). I would get rid of the 595, and use a 3->8 mux to control the transistors perhaps using the port b, then I would drive the led segments directly from port c. That will give you much faster refreshes as you will be able to update a digit by writing once each to port b and port c. The way it is now, you have to do multiple writes to shift the data into the 595.

I would look at using a few CD4511 for each digit. You wont have to 'scan' the display to show a number. Just latch the data in and move on.

Have Fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back