Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgboy

Can anyone point me to any tutorials on creating graphic interfaces for a pic microcontroller and a graphic lcd? Basically I would like to implement a drop down style menu, with push buttons to navigate through the thing to change graphic layouts and control brightness and contrast.

Can anyone point me to any tutorials on creating graphic interfaces for a pic microcontroller and a graphic lcd? Basically I would like to implement a drop down style menu, with push buttons to navigate through the thing to change graphic layouts and control brightness and contrast.

Thats not the easiest of projects to undertake. What language are you programming in?

Jim

Is there no examples on the MicroElectronika site? I have a half-arsed one written in Basic, but its far from finished.

Jim

there is a rudimentary design written in mikrobasic, but it basically uses button presses to toggle text on a graphic lcd, along with the appropriate devices on the ports. I understand how to do all of that, but I had something a little more complicated in mind. A navigable menu, that would use up/down keys and a selection key to choose highlighted options on the menu.

Are you doing this on a EasyPic board? If so, you could be really flash, and use the touchscreen ;)

I have meddled with this, and have chunks of it, in various states of completion, I need to sort through it all and try to put it altogether in one. Unfortunately, I'm short of time and motivation at the moment :(

Regards

Jim

heh the thing you have to understand is a menu or GUI is totally different from project to project.

To create a sucessful GUI you must know what you want shown. The max visual space your screen/terminal has. Like im using a 132x132 lcd right now so i have to limit myself to the width and height. meaning...

if i have a font of 8x8pixels then 1 letter is 8x8 pixels so 132/8 = 16.5 rounded down its 16... so i can have a max of 16 characters from left to right and 1-16 lines.

Now the issue is your GUI is custom.... so only you know where to place text... as for making a control its simple as if button1 = pressed then do this if button2 = pressed then do that... use cases tho

Code:
select case Button
{
    case 0:
        //Button 0 pressed do this
        this();
        break;

case 1:
        //Button 1 pressed do that
        that();
        break;
}