Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller based system to measure and display level of the liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthongobese

Hi there can you please suggest the type of transducer I should use for my design project that is to measure and display level of the liquid in a stationery tank. except for the float method, I need other methods

mthongobese said:
Hi there can you please suggest the type of transducer I should use for my design project that is to measure and display level of the liquid in a stationery tank. except for the float method, I need other methods that will be efficient enough and simple enough

hi,

Do a search for 'ultrasonic level' on the forum, lots of posts.

EricG

You can use ultrasonic waves to do the job. But i am not sure about the simplicity, diffinetly efficient enough

Level measurement

Please If I can get a block diagram and the ciruit layout of the ultrasonic level measurement maybe it will be easy but for now I am lost

You can use a 555-timer, configured in astable, running at ultrasonic frequency (>20KHz) feeding your mic as the transmitter. Another mic acts as the receiver and collects the rebound from the bottom of the tank (or whatever). Receiver and transmitter should be in the same module. The micro calculates the time lag between the send and receive times which it converts as a measure of volume.
Why don't you like the float, mthongobese?

Last edited:
Another common way to measure tank levels in an industrial setting is to measure the pressure (referenced to atmospheric pressure) that the liquid exerts on a transducer at the bottom of the tank. The pressure reading should be proportional to the tank level if the tank is cylindrical and standing on end. This is also the case if the tank is square or rectangular. If the tank is irregular in shape or a cylinder on it's side, the readings won't be linear. If the tank is pressurized, a differential pressure reading is used, where one side of the transducer is exposed to the liquid pressure (measurement) and the other side is exposed to the gas pressure in the top of the tank (reference). The shape of the tank stuff still applies regarding linearity.
JB

*edit* I forgot to mention that anything like this that is "industrial" is not likely to be inexpensive.

Last edited:
Pic16f84a

HELO my brothers and sisters...pls help me about my project..i need pic16f84 connected the water level sensor and timer.

I have chosen the float connected to the potentiometer, please if u would suggest some additional components for my design to be more efficient, for now for level above 80% I have an alarm, pls help!!!!!!!!!

mthongobese said:
if u would suggest some additional components for my design!

Please show us, either by circuit, block diagram or flow chart, exactly what you have done so far so we do not waste time duplicating your already thorough efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back