Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontroller based large led matrix display

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacific85

i want to create a project regarding micro controller based large led display..which can interface with pc so by a some editor in pc we can write anything and make it to display on scrolling board. i found few ones but i want guidance of yurs to help me step by step..

i want to know in which programming language i can edit texts to be displayed

Wow!

Without knowing what you know that is a difficult request.

If you do not anything about micro-controller hardware or software buy a display. What you want to do is much like seeing a car you want, and then trying to build it. Unless you hare a lot of experience you will fail. In both cases. In short it is not a good first project. A program to blink 1 led is.

If you do know more let us know so we can give you a reasonable answer.

Last edited:
I agree with 3v0... but don't get discouraged I started learning the PIC uC since about February or March and I learned so many things on different subjects. I guess what im trying to say is if you want to learn something quick just focus on it...

Re-Read your question:
“i want to create a project regarding micro controller based large led display..which can interface with pc so by a some editor in pc we can write anything and make it to display on scrolling board. i found few ones but i want guidance of yurs to help me step by step.. ”

Micro controllers – there are many types. (PIC / ATMEL ...)
Be more specific..

How big of a led display? What ever the case start of small. Im learning a 5x7 Matrix and I think I got the hang of it.

You want to interface with a PC. How RS232 or USB ?
How will you program the PC software? Visual Basic, C, C++, C# etc....

You found a few? Decide what features it has that you want in your design.
Im sure a lot of people here will be glad to help. Including myself.

For the basics I suggest you understand BINARY. How it works and what it is .. Hence:
Bit, Nybble, Byte etc...

Then learn HEX... 0-F.

Im not saying you should understand it to a point where you can write letters and talk in it but just enough so you wont get lost.

Well any thoughts?

If you want to build a display thats already been designed to be run from a pc, google 'Modular Dot Matrix Display' but if you want to design one yourself, and are a beginner, µC tutorials will be the best place to start.

You might check my tutorials, one of which is for an 8x8 LED matrix display, which will scroll text in any of the four main directions. It could easily be the base of a much larger system.

i want to create a project regarding micro controller based large led display..which can interface with pc so by a some editor in pc we can write anything and make it to display on scrolling board. i found few ones but i want guidance of yurs to help me step by step..

i want to know in which programming language i can edit texts to be displayed
How many LEDs? Mind you most micros would not be able to handle a large number...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back