Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip Parametric search omitting older chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I've just discovered that Microchip have removed all the older chips from the search. I wanted a 14 to 20 pin chip with a MSSP and all the search gave me was the more complex chips. I was sure a 16F88 would do as I required without all the complex pin configuration but it wasn't there. I checked the datasheet and it did indeed fit my requirements. I know we need to move on but the newer more complex chips are not good for beginners but maybe Microchip doesn't care any more.

Mike.

I noticed this too. I was after a older 18F chip with CAN but it took me ages to trawl through everything manually. The parametric search only brought back the newer chips.

I wonder if it is intentional or maybe they have screwed up.

I've just discovered that Microchip have removed all the older chips from the search./-/

Mike.

I don't think that they have. I just found the 16F88 using the parametric search and selecting number of ADC inputs=7. One thing to notice/configure is a toggle selection, Show New/Popular Products and Show All Products. Below is when set to the latter.
ps1.jpg

I don't think that they have. I just found the 16F88 using the parametric search and selecting number of ADC inputs=7. One thing to notice/configure is a toggle selection, Show New/Popular Products and Show All Products. Below is when set to the latter.
Well spotted. Note to self, in future read all the page.

Mike.

I fell into this today. Looking for 6-pin micros. Could only find 8-pin parts.

Just did it and it worked fine - showed me all the usual 200,202 and so on.

Here is exactly what I did:

https://www.microchip.com/selection-tools selected parametric search tool.

https://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1005 expanded menu on the left for 8 bit microcontrollers and selected "8 bit PIC mcu"

Then I clicked on Show All Products (see previous post - it defaults to new and popular).

Then I scrolled to the right and found the "pin count" column and selected "6".

Then the eight choices come up.

That's it - easy peasy.

Edit.

When you first get to the parametric search tool and before you mess with anything on the left, change the default to "SHOW ALL", it looks like it always defaults to New and Popular.

Once that change is made, you can select Pins=6 and the AVR and PICs will come up as appropriate. Interestingly, I see you can select pin count=0 and when I did that, 6 SAM chips showed up - BGAs - I guess they don't consider balls are pins?

BUT it looks like if you simply select All 8 bit MCU, it does not look like it will let you make the "Show All Products" and the lowest pin count=8. You can search for the other sub classes, like AVR and the pin count=6 shows up.

IOW: It's finicky

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back