Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip no longer giving samples out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboticinfo

We no longer send out samples anymore unless you have a business or university e-mail and elec.

I tried making an account for my "sister" and I put in her address and elec, in other words I made a new account and cannot order any samples.

Then a message came up and said due to many responses microchip is unable to send you samples unless you have a valid business e-mail or uc, and no longer sends samples to ISP something.......................

That sucks

Roboticinfo said:
We no longer send out samples anymore unless you have a business or university e-mail and elec.

I tried making an account for my "sister" and I put in her address and elec, in other words I made a new account and cannot order any samples.

Then a message came up and said due to many responses microchip is unable to send you samples unless you have a valid business e-mail or uc, and no longer sends samples to ISP something.......................

That sucks

If the service is misused then it's shut down! - it's obviously people like you misusing the service that have resulted in that!.

Nigel my PICs got ruined by my cat and instead of paying for only one or two it is better to get it free.

Anyway I only ordered two samples in my life, one was for a friend and one was for me.

That is all

I never miss used it I am a Darkangel
:twisted:
but not that bad

Roboticinfo said:

That sucks
I used to get this error too, to get through it, simple make an email account at some unknow ISP.... For example Microchip Sample system refuses Gmail accounts so I registred my Chello email account and voila it works!

I need to say: NEVER ABUSE THE SAMPLES SERVICE, IT'S MICROCHIPS GOOD WILL TO PROVIDE THEIR SAMPLES TO US. SO ONLY ORDER WHAT YOU NEED, NOT WHAT YOU WANT!

Re: reply

Roboticinfo said:
Nigel my PICs got ruined by my cat and instead of paying for only one or two it is better to get it free.

It's not something you could get from Glitchbuster? Only $1.85 for shipping.

Mike

I've never tried to get the samples from microchip before, never really had a reason to. They're just so inexpensive to add on to an order, and I order parts and just fairly often, I just toss a few on. Plus as was just mentioned, you can get them really cheap from Glitchbuster.

But I look at it like this: If they're willing to give free samples to select people, then those people shouldn't feel guilty taking them. There are Chinese food places in the mall that I walk by. I already know I like the food, and sometimes stop and order a meal. But anytime I walk by and they have a person out in the walkway giving away free samples, I always take one, regardless of if I feel it's going to generate them a sell that day. I realize this analogy fails as MChip is being selective about their recipients. But if they're willing to give samples away, and you aren't on a non-distrution hit list, then I see no problem.

Only giving to corporate entities (many of who have hojillion dollar contracts) who could -easily- spare $20 for a few chips to demo seems silly, especially considering other manufacturers whose initial development kits cost hundreds. These samples should be for anyone who has a need to use them. When you go to sell stuff on ebay, there are additional restrictions for people who use hotmail and yahoo addresses. This is similar. They don't want to just give them to random people off the street. They want their target audience to have some kind of legitimacy. "Here, check out our 16F628 and see if it meets your needs. Yes? Awesome. Now order some next time."

I made only 2 orders.

Some pepole order the maximum alowed samples and sell them.

microchip dosent complicate much about samples since its a realy big complany and they can give out a lot of samples.(That way it easy to get them).Small companys complicate a lot wen giving samples to make shure its for a company since thay cant aford giving out lots of them.

PICmicros is cheap stuff.(the dsPIC are a bit higher price)

I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner.

I should've ordered a free sample or two to play around with when I still had my university email... oh well, they are cheap enough, next time I make an order at some electronics part place I'll just have to remember to add a few to the cart.

plot said:
I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner.

I should've ordered a free sample or two to play around with when I still had my university email... oh well, they are cheap enough, next time I make an order at some electronics part place I'll just have to remember to add a few to the cart.

No it was just an email problem, you cant get orders with you gmail or yahoo accounts, Other e-mails should work except hotmail.

Someone Electro gave a link to bluebottle which is an e-mail company that microchip excepts.

If you order lots and lots it may close down for your country (It keeps closed for a cuple of months).

Jay and Someone Electro keep getting theirs closed. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back