Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip "Mechatronics Workshop In A Box"

Status
Not open for further replies.

panic mode

**broken link removed**

As you can see on Microchip website, they always have some sort of training (seminars, workshops etc.). Some are free, some are not.
Some of you might find it interesting.
I did because it is in my area (I love GTA) unless my company sends
me somewhere (that would suck... :x ).

check the demo kit:

**broken link removed**

ok, i didn't have to go anywhere so I went to see this workshop. after all i just needed excuse to skip work and see other people. as usual on such events, day started with long wait for lazy guys who couldn't wake up, followed by topics that could have been skipped or reduced to few minutes. i've used the time to clean up tables with samples (freebee is always a freebee) and help myself with snacks (donuts, coffe, cookies...). for people with any experience with pic, labs used in workshop would have been rather trivial ('hello world' type of projects) but there ware guys new to this stuff so it was cool. it was interesting to use ICD2 instead of my old trusty P16 programmer. one thing is sure, this thing was programming way faster than my home setup. off course i didn't like the price tag of $160USD but I got coupon for one time purchase of any development tools they have (programmers, ICDs, compilers, development kits...). I'm not sure if i'm going to use it since it expires on Mar31 2006 but again, it's a freebee... to be honest this price doesn't look too bad after using it for a while, it really speeds things up a lot, it's pretty much like using Z8encore development kits (which imho are still far better deal - no need for programmer or ICD, free c compiler, no darn memory paging, more timers and higher resolutions etc. but as most of you know PICs are more popular for DIY and hardware hacking).
other freebees include screwdriver, literature, board as posted above, and chips. some i found in my bag include:
PIC16F917, PIC16F690, PIC12F509 (MCU)
MCP1601 (500mA buck converter)
MCP3202 (12bit ADC)
MCP41100 (digital pot)
MCP6S22, MCP6S28 (single supply programable gain amp)
MCP6041, MCP6042, MCP6142 (single supply nanocurrent opamp)
25C320 (32kbit serial EEPROM - SPI) etc.
back to the things covered in labs: use of digital and analog I/O (from simple button, few LEDs, till PWM motor control using pot or light sensor), timer T0 (delay and PWM), nested loops, LCD display (bare naked LCD, not the inteligent ones based on hitachi controller 447xx). some of code was done before (like LCD) but most of stuff we had to type in.
the bad part was that the demo board is useless without ICD or other type of programmer (other than for components on it) so some of the guys felt hosed, got lemon kind a feeling. microchip guys have said some cheaper ICSP programmer PICkit2 costing 20-40 bucks to please masses (students, hobbists etc.):
https://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164120

microchip server seam to be down at the moment so i cannot check it out.
if the design is complete and so simple why they cannot deliver them now? wonder why the 5 months wait?
i guess i better try making an ICD2 clone... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back