Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micro-package ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes

SMD devices...
thanks for the links they are very useful
but as you are saying you are working with them...

aren't they too small and hard to work with?
what are the advantages of thoes devices over the regular ones

I use a pair of reading glasses and some tweezers to hold them. I find them easier to work with now and quicker. I can solder a row of 0805 resisters faster then I can insert, solder and trim some radial resistors.

I make my own boards as well, and every hole I don't have to drill helps. They also take up less space on the board, so I can make much smaller boards. I like having everything on 1 side of the board as well, since you can trace the circuit easier just looking at it.

I still use thru hole components when needed, and they're convenient. Sometimes thru hole resistors work as resistors as well as via's or jumpers. Sometimes you just can't easily trace everything onto a single side.

Unfortunately SMD is the way of the world now, and you can't even find some IC's in through hole packages anymore.

The world of miniturisation, it's a bit*h at times. We have something called wainwright miniboards to prototype with at work, has anyone else used these before? Because of the nature of my work our devices need to be as small as poss, I have to solder 0402 passive componants and IC's with 0.5mm pitch all the time. I might try reading glasses, sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back