Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Meter help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njguy

I have an electric motor, that runs, but at quick intervals it turns off and on. I was wondering what kind of meter I should use for measuring its power consumption. An ammeter(I know doesn't show power consumption), would just be rapidly flipping from 0 to x as the motor turns off and on. Same as volt meter. I would like to measure voltage as well. The basic problem I have, is that I can't read the dials if they are jumping around. Hope I'm being clear. Thanks guys. I know its an out of the ordinary question.

Are you looking for an average reading? ie. ignoring any back emf, voltage dips etc? An ordinary DVM is quite slow, which may or may not be to your advantage

Jim

You probably need a scope to measure the transient voltage and also a hall effect current probe to see the current.

Are you looking for an average reading? ie. ignoring any back emf, voltage dips etc? An ordinary DVM is quite slow, which may or may not be to your advantage

Jim

It turns on an off at high frequency. Basically I need a power over time consumption rating.

Consumes X amount of power per minute... is the type of data I'm hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back