Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Menu System choice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Our Arduino Aquarium Controller uses a 2.8" tft screen and has several touch 'buttons' to manually override various daily functions, which all works well.

However there are about 50 other variables for various temp limits and timings such as lights on /off /dim control etc and generally for our use they get changed very infrequently and currently done by simply reprogramming.

Todays BST clock change does highlight how handy some form of menu system would make such changes easier.

This could be in the form of a menu system to the touch screen or as we recently tested, via BT or Wifi with an ESP32 to a mobile phone, the latter probably being easier to code .

While the younger ones seem to prefer everything to be controlled via the mobile phone, we are not so averse to pressing the controllers touch panel which is always placed so you can see the tanks key parameters.

Though not in any way a commercial product, we have given the code to a few other hobbyists and it would be nice to complete this project with the addition of a menu system, but just not sure which direction to take , Screen menu or BT, any thoughts ?

Screen menu, and add BT as well if you really feel the need? - but it's silly making you require extra equipment to do the settings, when you already have a touch screen on the project.

I had an issue ike this, instead of setting bst hour I just added some code to look at the date and change the hour automatically on the night it changes.

I had an issue ike this, instead of setting bst hour I just added some code to look at the date and change the hour automatically on the night it changes.
How do you know when it changes, is there an algorithm?

Mike.
Edit, how do you know the date it changes?

Hi,

Well the BST was perhaps a poor example, there are lots of other values that could be changed as well.

Have looked at the full code for this good screen menu system in C++ and it shows how multiple touch screens can be readily achieved.

To me using screen menu system seems obvious but we are old school who are still able to get up and turn the radio or tv volume down.

The younger ones want everything on the moby, but when you are sat in front of the tank, seems they cannot reach the control box in front of them ..?:)

Suppose could still use BT /Wifi as a more remote form of Alarm system.

Tosay is midnight on the last sunday in the month, the winter one is similar, and alogorithm wouldnt be so hard to put together, all you'd need to do is perform an if statement, then maybe use a bit for anti repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back