Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Memory Allocation & Release in O(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys,

Regarding memory alignment.

I read in some places that memory blocks should be multiples of word size, i.e. 4 bytes for 32-bit systems.

However, in this lecture, I read that:
To simplify memory alignment
o Make all memory blocks a multiple of the header size
o Ensure header is aligned with largest data type (e.g., long)

I thought it is just necessary to have both header and memory block each some multiple of word-size - i.e. the memory block does NOT have to be a multiple of the header.

How does it simpify to increase the header so that all memory blocks will be a multiple of the header?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I thought of a solution for the 10 / 50 / 200 Bytes problem.

How about this:
1. 10-byte blocks could be allocated on every 10-byte step - i.e. addresses 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, .....
2. 50-byte blocks could be allocated on every 50-byte step - i.e. addresses 0, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, ...
3. 200-byte blocks could be allocated on every 200-byte step - i.e. addresses 0, 200, 400

struct freelist
{
struct freelist *pprev, *pnext;
} freelist10, freelist50, freelist200;

4. 3 lists will be initialized at first, with all free spaces.

5. each list will point on the available block -> therefore it'd take O(1).

The disadvantages here are:
1. that if say addresses 10 to 60 are available, the algorithm will not count it as an available space for a 50-byte block.

2. the header will be 3 times bigger.

Is there a better way?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back