Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring rise time percentages 10%-90%

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Banned
I have a problem of knowing or getting the 10%,20%,30%,etc -90% percentage values from a diagonal line the rise time?

how do i get these percentages?

see the diagonal line on the oscilloscope where is 10% is it the first division ?
where is 20% because the rise time is a diagonal line how do i calucalate the
percentages of the diagonal line for 10%-90%?

Does the Rise time have a period ?

i need to know how to get 10%,20%,30%,etc -90% percentage values from a diagonal line the rise time?

walters said:
I have a problem of knowing or getting the 10%,20%,30%,etc -90% percentage values from a diagonal line the rise time?

how do i get these percentages?

see the diagonal line on the oscilloscope where is 10% is it the first division ?
where is 20% because the rise time is a diagonal line how do i calucalate the
percentages of the diagonal line for 10%-90%?

Does the Rise time have a period ?

i need to know how to get 10%,20%,30%,etc -90% percentage values from a diagonal line the rise time?
The risetime of a waveform is the time period between 10% and 90% of maximum amplitude.

Yea but how do i get the 10% time interval value?
20% time interval value?
30%-90% etc.
how do i get the measured value from the oscilloscope display?

walters said:
Yea but how do i get the 10% time interval value?
20% time interval value?
30%-90% etc.
how do i get the measured value from the oscilloscope display?

It's not an electronics question?, or even a scope question?, just a simple maths question.

10% is 1/10, 20% is 2/10 - it's not difficult?.

On a scope simply count the horizontal squares, so one square high, and four squares low would be 1/5 (one high out of five), which is the same as 2/10, giving 20%.

Yea but if i put in a 5 volt rise time ramp dialogal line how do i know the
10%-90% math rise time interval percentage values?

5 volts rise time input

what is the 10% rise time percentage?
what is the 20% rise time percentage?
30%
40%
50-90

what is the rise time period?

I think you are really mis-understanding what rise/fall time is
10%-90% of the voltage is just a convention.

Take a diagonal line that rises from 0V to 10V in 10seconds

now the 0%-100% rise time would be 10sec

now in this case 10%-90%:

The 10% voltage in this case is 1V and it occurs at 1s
The 90% voltage in this case is 9V and occurs at 9s

the 10%-90% rise time would be 9sec

This case is easy since it is nice easy numbers and a nice easy signal

Right take this waveform for instance.
say 1 sqaure = 1V and 1us

it is approxamitly 9 spaces high (remember engineering is knowing when to say PI =3.14)

this is for 0% to 100%

It is equally 10.5 devisions in the X-dimentions

Since maximum voltage (ie 100% is 9devisions), so 10% = 0.9V.
This occurs 1 time devision from the start of the slope = 1us

eqaully 90% = 8.1V
and that occurs 9.5 time time devisions from the start = 9.5us

thus the rise time for 10%-90% = 9.5us - 1us = 8.5us rise time

follow that

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,162
Thanks alot styx

What about the 10%-90% time intervals how do i get those?

Do i just get the rise time period from the oscilloscope Time per division
X by 8 divisions= the rise time period

example so if the rise time is dialogal arcross 8 divisions and equals
50ms lets just say

50ms divided would be me the 10% time interval?
20% time interval ?
30-90% intervals

Thanks styx for the pdf picture

So where is 10% ,20%,30% and etc

how do i get the time intervals from the divisions and oscilloscope time per division setting

errr?

Time intervals are taken from the scope division setting, ie 1us/Div for instance

From that you know what 1 big square on the scope is worth.

why would you want to know what 20%, 30% is when you wanted "rise-time" which is defined as the time taken for a signal to change it voltage form 10% to 90% of its full voltage swing

As Nigel stated this is simple maths

What is 10% of 88 for instance?
What is 40% 49 for instance
what is 90% of 3.1415926 for instance

in this case what is 10% of 9
what is 90% of 9

at what time (from the start of the rise) does a voltage of 10% occur
at what time (from the start of the rise) does a voltage of 90% occur

What is the difference between those two time? = rise time

IF you really want a forumla/steps

Thanks styx for the help

at what time (from the start of the rise) does a voltage of 10% occur
at what time (from the start of the rise) does a voltage of 90% occur

Yes how do i get these information, how do i do it?

What is the difference between those two time? = rise time

IF you really want a forumla/steps

Yes what formulas and steps do i do for this procedure?

Older scopes have those 10% and 90% dashed lines on their screen

Where are they i still don't know where the percentages are

I know where 0% and 100% is but i don't know where 10%-90% are
don't i have count the divisions and X by the time per divisions?

I need like a Old style oscilloscope display to help me out to "Guide" me better
because im just guessing really where 10%,20%,30%-90% are.

Is there a better way to have a % percentage "guide" made for me to help me out more

walters said:
Older scopes have those 10% and 90% dashed lines on their screen

Where are they i still don't know where the percentages are

I know where 0% and 100% is but i don't know where 10%-90% are
don't i have count the divisions and X by the time per divisions?

I need like a Old style oscilloscope display to help me out to "Guide" me better
because im just guessing really where 10%,20%,30%-90% are.

Is there a better way to have a % percentage "guide" made for me to help me out more
I hesitate to get into this, because you seem to have some sort of mental block, or don't understand percentages, but oh, well, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
All scopes have an uncalibrated variable gain knob. Adjust that knob until the pulse waveform spans exactly 5 divisions vertically. Set both pulse levels on graticule lines. When the pulse rising edge is exactly 0.5 divisions above the lower level, that's 10% of the amplitude. Note the position of that point on the horizontal (time) scale. When the pulse edge is exactly 0.5 divisions below the upper level, that's 90%. Note that position on the horizontal scale. Now subtract the 10% time reading from the 90% time reading. The result is the 10-90% risetime. For falltime, do the same thing on the falling edge.

"Older scopes have ... those ... lines"?

Now there's a statement that's relative WRT time. "Older" (i.e., ca. 1955) did NOT have a "risetime graticule" (the proper term for "those ... lines"). The newest scopes (i.e., DSOs over the last 10 years) may not have those lines because risetime is typically a calculating function of any decent DSO.

Decent scopes (i.e., "real" analog scopes made by Tektronix) have had risetime graticules since around 1965 or 1970 if the scope had a bandwidth of around 35MHz or more. If you look carefully at the graticule, you'll see the major division lines and then two dotted lines. You use your volts/div knob and your variable volts/div knob to adjust the pulse waveform screen height so that the more positive level is on the upper dotted line and the less positive level is on the lower dotted line. The next major graticule line above the lower dotted line is the 10% point. The next major graticule line below the upper dotted line is the 90% point. Speed the time/div up so that the transition uon which you are triggering is spread out as far horizontally as you can get it WITH THE VARIABLE TIME/DIV IN THE CALIBRATED POSITION, adjust the horizontal position so that the 10% point crosses over the second vertical major graticule line and measure the time (number of divisions multiplied by the time/div setting) between this point and the point where the transition crosses the 90% point. This is your risetime.

Note that the oscilloscope your are using must have a faster risetime that the transition which you are measuring or all you'll be measuring is the scope's risetime.

If you have the trigger slope set for "+", you'll be measuring the risetime. If you have the trigger slope set for "-", you'll be measuring fall time (from the 990% point down to the 10% point).

Dean

Thanks Dean Huster for the information

I need to get a rise time gradules display to help guide me better with
the oscilloscope

walters said:
So 5 divisions vertically= 100% rise time
If you set it up so that the upper and lower levels span 5 divisions, yes.
We measure 10% - 90% because, with a monotonic signal (no preshoot or overshoot), it is impossible to determine where 100% is exactly. For instance, on an exponentially rising edge (single RC circuit), the signal theoretically never reaches 100%. It will reach 99% in about 5 time constants, 99.9% in 7 time constants, 99.99% in 9 time constants, 99.999% in 12 time constants,...

So how many Time Constants there in a 10%-90% rise time?

how can i measure the time constants ? with the oscilloscope gradules and divisions where do i count to get the time constants in a rise time?

walters said:
So how many Time Constants there in a 10%-90% rise time?

how can i measure the time constants ? with the oscilloscope gradules and divisions where do i count to get the time constants in a rise time?

you are reallly starting to piss me off
Are you fore real!!!

How do we know!!! it depends on the signal you are looking at!!!!

This is like hte 3rd thread on the subject and many ppl have explained it to you.

Do you know what percentages are?

Yea Time constants have percentages also but i don't know how to get
the values or know how to do it with a oscilloscope sorry

And there is Time constants percentages with rise time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back