Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure capacitance on HVAC capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deep_logic

Hi all. Recently my HVAC went belly up and I kinda figured it was the capacitor (I replaced it about 6 years ago). So I removed it and checked the terminals. There are 3 labeled: 1. "C" - common, 2. "Fan", and 3. "Herm". The name plate of the bad cap was 40MF(MICROFARAD) +/- 7.5. The readings on all three terminals was ZERO. Ok. So I get a new cap at the appliance store, with same specs, I tested all three terms and guess what? It reads ZERO across all three terms! I installed the new cap and everything is working fine, but I'm wondering if I'm using the CAPACITOR function wrong with my meter? I tried ALL the settings.

I'm pretty sure it's operator error, but I'd like to know for future...

What is the maximum capacitor range on the meter?
What is the meter?

1. 20μF - 2000pF.
2. The meter itself is a generic one from China. I got it about 10 years ago and still works fine.

You could series a known good cap <10 uf and do the math: 1/Ct=1/Ctest+1/Cknown

Series caps obey parallel resistance rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back