Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Maximum Operation Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( I'm sorry to be being so annoying here, but I can't get anything to work.

How do I force Windows to use the driver? I tried googling, but I couldn't find anything relevent.

I install a driver off my mini CD (don't think it was the right one) and got the cable to show up as HugePine USB-UART controller and it was "COM4"
Can it be COM4 or does it need to be COM1?

When following your HelloWorld poster, should I use the PIC16F877 in step 1?

I really don't want to give up on this. I'm determined to see that little LED blink.

From Device manager (my computer/properties/device manager)
You can force a driver.

It could also be a non standard USB Serial adapter. No IRQs are an odd feature. This site recommends other units for more compatibility.

**broken link removed**

Here's one that should work, it uses the Prolific (PL2303) chipset.

**broken link removed**

I use one from Tiger Direct. Also do you have access to a desktop computer with a rs232 port, these will work. And you must change it to COM1 or COM2 (they have IRQs)

Attachments

• Hardware Wizard.gif
    Hardware Wizard.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 128
Thanks again Bill for your continued help.

I tried forcing the driver and changing it to COM1 and it still won't connect. Either I am really lost, or the cable isn't going to work for me.

I am using a desktop computer, and it does have a serial port. Is this a better way to connect? I just got the USB for the ease of being able to plug into my front USB ports and not have to crawl behind my desk.;)

Would this cable be a more sure fire choice?

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=238510&CatId=85

Also, is your firefly avalible as a kit? I see DIPmicro has the PCB, but it would take me forever at this rate to order all the parts.
Its discouraging to not even be able to get past the cord/driver problems, let alone the problems I know I will have with my 16F54 mock up with my salvaged crystal. lol I guess if I have to wait for a new cord to come, I might as well get some more newbie friendly pics on the way and mabey a firefly to put them in.

:eek: Opps..... I was thinking the computer had a female socket like the inchworm. Thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back